Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Maple losing weight.

Cavydad1019

Cavy Slave
So my Maple (pic attached) has been losing weight. I've only started weighing her since past 4-5 months. She fluctuates between 830gms to 780gms. I have seen that she has a voracious appetite, she eats hay, she eats all the greens that is given to her but she doesn't eat pellets. I have noticed that only recently she rarely eats pellets. The weight that I usually go for is first thing in the morning before leaving for work. I weigh her before giving her treats. She used to be 795 then a week later she went down to 785, then a week later went down to 778. Before and after treats her weight adds by 50gms. After returning from work, I weigh her and it has been consistently 800gms, its just the weight first thing in the morning has seen reduction. Her poops are normal and so is her pee. Her fur looks fine as well.

After Zorra's loss, we have been weighing our pigs everyday, we also have a WYZE camera which gives me a notification everytime my pigs move in the cage. I saw that Maple is very active, runs around a lot, and even tries to mount my pig Choco. I have decided to call my vet regardless to see whats the exact cause. I would like some ideas or advice if I should look at anything else.

Adventurous Maple.jpgPirate Maple.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You don't say how old Maple is? Cavies, like humans, often lose weight as they get older. From what you say, I see no reason to be concerned about her. Weight fluctuation is quite normal with cavies as with humans. You don't weigh the same every morning, do you? Consider that 50gm may be the equivalent of a good poop and a couple of pees.

If you are that concerned about her, by all means call your vet just to ease your mind. But, from what you report, she sounds just fine.

Cavydad1019

Cavy Slave
She is close to 3 years old. It could probably be my paranoia after Zorra's death.

So we took her to the vet (2 weeks back), she couldn't really find anything particularly wrong with her. They did say that her bladder is slightly enlarged but we can't be sure without an ultra-sound. She gave us a Sucralafate, BeneBac Plus and anti-biotic(doxycycline). She said it could either be a hidden disease or stomach ulcer. Now her weight has gone back up from 775gms to 850gms (what a relief). I do want to get an ultra-sound just to make sure its nothing serious regarding enlarged bladder. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow for a follow-up check.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
How often are you weighing her? Daily weigh-ins are not very effective in truly determining weight as weight will fluctuate throughout the day. Weekly weigh-ins are the most effective.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.