Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Teaching Pigs to Use a Cuddle Cup

Hi guys, it's been a while! I've been having fun taming my new babies, and a friend sent me a couple cuddle cups. The problem is the pigs aren't terribly interested in them. They'll sit on top of them but don't seem to get the concept of laying inside them. I've tried putting food in them but they just grab the food and pull it out. I think they would really like laying in them if they knew how they worked, so does anyone have some tips for how to get a pig to use a cuddle cup?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,551 Rec'd/1,276 Posts
    Mentioned
    594 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1149 Post(s)

Re: Teaching Pigs to Use a Cuddle Cup

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    does anyone have some tips for how to get a pig to use a cuddle cup?
    Not really. They often model the behavior of an older cavy who uses them. My boys wouldn't use them either, especially if the cozies are new and don't have their scent on them. When you take your cavies out for lap time, put them in a cozy so that their scent gets on them. And, yes, permit them to pee & poop in the cozy as well. Once their scent starts to become part of the cozy, then even repeated washings probably won't have an effect on them.

Their behavior will often change as they mature. I had one boy who wouldn't lounge in a cozy, but always slept on top of it. Out of the blue, he decided that he liked it. He would often sleep with his head buried deep within and his butt sticking out. This apparently was Chip's "do not disturb" sign.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Re: Teaching Pigs to Use a Cuddle Cup

That's a good idea, putting them in it for lap time. I'll keep it in the cage to give them the opportunity to figure it out, too.

User Tag List