Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Found a blind guinea pig in the pet store -- is there anything I could've done?

brookiehcookie

Cavy Slave
There was a blind guinea pig in a petsmart I went to in order to see if they had the hay manger I usually buy since my pigs' last wooden one got really gross. On my way to the guinea pig isle, I noticed a piggie with a severe head tilt and I thought that was strange, I kinda stood there and watched it for a moment thinking maybe it was just in my head. The piggie had his face right next to his water bottle sideways and it took him ~15 minutes of feeling around the bottle with his mouth to finally find the spot where he could get a drink from.

They had him with a lot of other boars who were just kind of trampling over him. I don't have space for another pig, and I felt really bad for the lil guy, so I called the local exotic pet rescue that is known to rescue guinea pigs. They said they couldn't pick him up because pet stores are notorious for getting sick animals from breeders privately and it would just perpetuate the problem if they rescued the blind pig from the pet store. I understand what they were saying by that, but he is blind which is a bit different than being sick in my opinion. It's more of a disability.

Has anyone else every encountered this sort of thing? Is there another step I could've taken? I feel bad as I don't have room for any more piggies else I would've adopted him so he could've gotten the care he needed and get him away from the boars appeared to be picking on him a bit and he couldn't really figure out where to defend himself. He just turned in a tiny circle and kinda showed his teeth as they kinda bullied him. I feel like there's something else I can do -- but I just can't seem to think of anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

PiggieLifexoxo

Cavy Slave
I'm not a piggy expert, but I don't really think there was anything you could've done- especially since blind pigs could be a bit harder to take care of, at least you tried to help.

TearLily

Cavy Slave
That's really sad. Did you by chance get to talk to anyone at the pet store? Depending on the pet store and manager maybe they would be willing to give the rescue the Guinea pig for free as an adoption versus selling? If the Guinea pig is disabled it's not right for them to not disclose if they know and since it's a little more effort such as living condition and how you approach Guinea pig I cant imagine them not being willing to either adopt out for free or something? I know I saw a video on YouTube from pet youtuber who adopted blind or disabled hamster (it might not have been blind cant remember) for free and they gave gift card to help for care. I think I it was a petsmart. I've seen a Petco (or could've been petsmart) put out they are adopting out for free hamster because he or she wasnt getting along and kept fighting so couldn't keep out in regular store or other reasonings like that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.