Thread: Fly Free Over the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet Chip!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,503 Rec'd/1,238 Posts
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

Fly Free Over the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet Chip!

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that my "bitty boy" passed over the Rainbow Bridge last evening. When we say that a cavy's life can be snuffed out in a very short time, I saw it with Chip.

We had to take him in for some dental work about six weeks ago with excessive teeth gnashing and grinding and a significant weight loss. He weighed in at 1:10 oz which was a loss of 6-7 oz. in a short amount of time. He bounced back with a voracious appetite and with 2x/day Critical Care feedings, he was back up to 2:01 as of yesterday morning.

I first noticed that he wasn't feeling well when I took him out for his midday CC feeding about 1pm. He would cry out when I picked him up to hold him and I thought it was because I had snagged his nails in my sweater. I fed them dinner around 6:30pm and I noticed that Chip only ate a small amount of food and then went back into his hidey. Now, this is a little fellow who would sit at the plate for an hour or two....seemingly a bottomless pit. I noticed that he reemerged about 15 min. later only to take a few bites and then go back to the hidey. Now I was concerned.

I carefully took him out of the cage and with every move he cried in pain. Even though he came to the side of the cage to be picked up, it was obvious that something was wrong. Chip was very much a "Mommy's boy" and loved snuggling with me, and seemed to calm down as I put him on my chest. It was then that I noticed that his eyes were bulging out....and not in fear. The first thing I thought of was increased intracranial pressure and I knew something was terribly wrong. Why do these emergencies always happen on the weekends?

I immediately bundled him up and my husband flew out of the house with Chip in a carrier to take him to the 24 hr. vet hospital. Chip took his last breath as Gary walked in the door of the clinic. At that point, of course it was impossible for them to diagnose what had caused his death. The doctor in me says that he probably had an intracranial hemorrhage (brain bleed) that took his life so quickly.

All of my cavies have taught me something. But, none more so than Chip. When we got him at 6 wks. old, he was a voracious biter. With time and training, we broke him of the biting and he became a licker instead. He was a nervous, high-strung, high-energy little fellow who would "sing" at the top of his lungs during lap time.......so much so that we couldn't hear the t.v. or carry on a conversation. With time and patience, the loud singing became this soft little sing-song voice that was uniquely Chip. And, he began to enjoy lap time with his humans. He learned to snuggle and actually fall asleep.

He loved his brother, Sparky with a fierce love and attachment. Nothing made him happier when Sparky would snuggle with him. It was even better when he could snuggle with Sparky AND his Mom. Sparky loved his brother, but is so bonded to us that he will survive by himself. I don't know if he has yet realized that Chip isn't coming back.

Thank you my little one for teaching me love, acceptance, and most of all, patience. Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge and be sure to give Bubba, Maya, and Chester our love when you meet them. We miss you all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,154 Rec'd/5,692 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3723 Post(s)

Re: Fly Free Over the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet Chip!

I'm so sorry. He had the best life with you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,503 Rec'd/1,238 Posts
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'm so sorry. He had the best life with you.
    Thank you. The Vet would tell Chip "boy, you hit the jackpot with this family". As I said, I'm grateful for all he taught me, but now he's gone at not quite 3 1/2 y.o. I'll miss him terribly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    459 Rec'd/414 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)

Oh no. No no no.

I'm so sorry. I don't know what else to say. I can't even believe it.

I have no words right now. Maybe later.

Thanks
    Thanks
    459 Rec'd/414 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)

@spy9doc

My heart breaks for you. This was absolutely the last thing I expected to see coming here this morning, and it threw me. I can only imagine how it feels for you.

There are no words that can make it feel better. You know you gave Chip the best home. I can think of no one who loves their cavies more, or who does whatever needs to be done no matter what. It was obviously something frighteningly fast.

I just wanted to offer you my absolute, most heartfelt condolences. It's hard enough when they're ill, and you're nursing them but in the end you know what's coming and there's a little time to come to terms with it. This is like being hit by a truck.

Rest in peace, Chip. Know how much you were loved and adored by your mom and dad, and your brother. Take that love with you to the Rainbow Bridge, and spread some of it to Bubba, Maya and Chester to remind them how much they're missed.

I'm so sorry, K.

Thanks
    Thanks
    492 Rec'd/395 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)

Oh my goodness, I am so so sorry for your loss. We all know he had the best life with your family, you love, adore and spoil your boys beyond belief.

Fly free, Chip!

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I'm very sorry to read about the loss of Chip and am at a loss for words as this was unexpected.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

My condolences on sweet little Chip. He had such a good life with you.

Thanks
    Thanks
    56 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Chip sounds like he was an amazing little fellow, and you and your family did an amazing job taking care of him. No matter how old they live to be, it's just never enough time, is it? My thoughts are with you all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,503 Rec'd/1,238 Posts
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Sparky loved his brother, but is so bonded to us that he will survive by himself. I don't know if he has yet realized that Chip isn't coming back.
    It apparently just dawned on Sparky that Chip is gone. I teach evening classes on Mondays, so wasn't home at the normal cavy dinnertime. My husband said that it was absolutely heartbreaking when he went to put their salad in the cage. Normally both of them come running out to eagerly pounce on dinner. Sparky came running out and stopped dead in his tracks......and wouldn't go near the plate. He knew something was amiss when Chip didn't appear. Gary said that Sparky wouldn't go near the dinner until he physically put Sparky at the edge of the plate and sat with him for a few minutes.

Thank you all for your kind words. Because the cage sits alongside my desk, I am constantly reminded of Chip's absence......and keep looking over to reassure myself that Sparky is here. I have been so invested in Chip's well-being and progress that his departure has left this gaping hole in my heart. But, that too will heal as it has with the death of previous furballs. I do plan to get another cavy for both Sparky and for us. I need to wait until the end of the semester so that I have time to rebuild the cage and make new liners and cozies. Since Sparky is neutered, I don't know if it will be another male or a female. Sparky is a big boy with a big personality, but is the ultimate mellow fellow, so I think that he will be fine with either a male or female companion.

Thanks
    Thanks
    658 Rec'd/566 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

@spy9doc I haven't been to the forum for a few days and when I signed on today and saw your post my heart just broke for you. I send both you and your husband my deepest condolences. Reading your story of how Sparky reacted when he realized that Chip wasn't there just shows how much they also grieve for their companions when one of them passes away. Please give your handsome Sparky a cuddle from me and know that I will be thinking of you and your family.

I know Chip brought such joy into your lives and his wonderful memory will always live on. Rest in peace sweet piggy.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    862 Rec'd/695 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Oh no, I just saw this. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose them, but especially that young. Godspeed, Chip.

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    391 Post(s)

Fly Free Over the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet Chip!

Sigh, I donít check in very often when work is extra busy, and then thereís sad news. Iím so sorry Chip passed away. Itís been a bad year for our beloved piggies, I miss Ferb every day. RIP little Chip, you were very loved and are missed every day.

User Tag List