Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Peppa's medical thread

TearLily

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. I have my pig Peppa who I got almost a year ago. She started having bloat within first week I had her, I took her to the vet and they ultrasound her and found lots of air so put her under some sedation and aspirated her and gave me I think reglan or something for a week to keep things moving in her digestive. The vet said to give her olive oil and that simethicone or baby gas drops and gripe water was fine too and it would probably continue and to do olive oil and simethicone drops.

She kept having bloating here and there and I would do olive oil and gas drops at first but then just now do gas drops every day. She bloats then farts and burps it out and gets skinny and the cycle starts over. She has always stayed vocal for more food, eats constantly, and poops lots.

Lately her hair has started balding on the sides and around neck. She is the only one out for 4 who has hair loss. I have started giving them the oral gel type medicine for treatment/prevention of mange that was recommended by Guinea pig rescue person online but j dont think it's that. The lady said she thinks it's probably hormonal hair loss. I give them vitamin c tabs everyday just in case of vitamin c deficiency.

Anyone else have hair loss issues with bloating Guinea pigs?

I feel bad for her because she looks so bald but she eats good and moves well and poops fine. Her quality of life seems good still but unsure if something else can be done.

Thanks guys.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Chronic bloat pig-hair loss concern

Do you know how old she is? Is she itching?

And can you post a picture of the hair loss?

TearLily

Cavy Slave

I hope the images actually show but took it off phone so wasnt sure how to post it.

She is about 3 to 3 1/2 years old now. I've never seen her itch before. I've given her the I think it's called vermictin oral type medicine about once a week I think is what rescue had said to do for like 3 weeks. No change. The other 3 have full hair and I haven't seen them bullying her and pulling out hair or anything.

One of my concerns is with her bloat if she is eating so much because maybe not absorbing everything which may explain hair loss?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

The hair loss wouldn't be caused by how much she's eating.

If she's not itching, that's probably fungal. Plus, it's not the hair loss pattern for mites on a pig's back, so she doesn't need ivermectin for it.

I'd treat her with a shampoo. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for recommendations. Bathe her a couple of times, a few days apart, and then watch carefully to see if the spot is still spreading or if it has stopped. Be sure to rinse her well.

TearLily

Cavy Slave

Okay thank you. It's just weird that none of the other Guinea pigs have any issue except her.

I'm not saying because she eats a lot but because of the bloating if that would cause her to be malnourished?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

No, it wouldn't.

She may have some mild loss of immunity that makes her susceptible to it where the others are not. But fungus is contagious, so do keep an eye on the others so you can start prompt treatment if necessary. If you catch new spots on her or the others, you can treat it with a dab of one of the creams so you don't have to keep bathing them all.

TearLily

Cavy Slave

Thank you bpatters. I just ordered the nizoral shampoo and the clotrimazole cream. I'll give them all a soak and wash everything and vinegar clean things in cage so hopefully itll clear up. I hope peppas hair grows back in the end of all this. She isnt crusty or anything but just in case she gets cold.

I really appreciate you answering all my questions and giving me advice.

TearLily

Cavy Slave
URI should I separate mom and baby?

Okay I apologize for posting again but peppa one of my grown pigs with chronic bloat started making odd low grunting noises while she was munching her pellets so I called a vet i was recommended for exotic pets. Said walk in at certain times and asked if I brought one pig in from herd with issue if I could get enough med for herd if needed. Said yes.

So am here and peppa is pretty quiet but makes sniffles and such here and there. Vet checks her out and is worried about bloating and uri so is prescribing baytril and reglan for peppa but enough baytril for all 4 grown pigs. Asked about baby being in cage and he said he'd be worried because could be contagious.

My concern is mom has been in mix of pigs including peppa and baby has been for 3 days. If I separate the 2 of them mom could be sick, could I treat mom if she is giving baby milk?

Vet said he'd only treat ones sneezing and showing symptoms but I thought I saw online people treating all. What would you guys think about medicating who and about separating or if itd be pointless anyway since all been together. Mom and baby haven't seemed to show symptoms. Really only peppa. Peppa may only have issue because of chronic bloating issue causing her immune system to be done. Her hair has been thin and I had bathed all of them with the nizarol shampoo and cleaned and washed everything in vinegar but she is only one with that hair loss in herd.

Peppa is still eating away and moving around. Hoping reglan takes care of moving gas out and baytril takes care of in infection. Maybe without so much gas she could absorb more food or be less stressed and grow back the missing hair?

Sorry again for another post but different questions. Thank you guy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I merged this with your other thread and changed the name. You get ONE medical thread per pig. It's too difficult for us to follow what's going on when the info about a pig is spread all over the forum.

Only give antibiotics to the pigs that are showing symptoms. ABs have their own set of problems, and shouldn't be given unless needed. You treat the whole herd when you're dealing with parasite infestations, not infections.

I wouldn't separate anybody from anybody else. They've all already been thoroughly exposed. Just watch carefully, and immediately start treatment on anybody who's getting sick.

TearLily

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you very much. Sorry about posting new thread. Didnt think about it but that makes sense to keep it together.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
For anybody else who may be reading this, at the top of the page for a new thread, it says, in RED, only one medical thread for a pig.

TearLily

Cavy Slave
So last night I found peppa on her side dead. She had blood around her nose. It was absolutely terrifying and sad. I had just fed them around 830pm some lettuce and they ate like normal and then around 1030 I went to go upstairs and looked at them to make sure they were good and found her. She was right behind me the entire time and I never heard anything except some kind of crash sound that sounded like it was outside and I had investigated and couldn't find.

She was doing better and bloating had seemed gone and she started growing hair back and still ate and drank and pooped like normal. What could be the bloody nose from that killed her? I'm hoping she didnt suffer and it was quick. It looked awful though.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost her. She may have had a stroke, and it may be that the bloody nose is a result of what killed her, and not the cause.

TearLily

Cavy Slave
Thank you bpatters. I'm hoping it was quick and she didnt suffer. I didnt hear her behind me at all. The other guineas seem good but it's so much quieter without her in there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.