Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Wood Pellets

blancah76

Cavy Slave
I've read recently about wood pellets and am very excited to try these, but have a couple questions. I have a Tractor supply store near me which I went to yesterday hoping to buy the pellets for stoves but they had none and there's no where in my area that sells them. I looked at the pellets for horse bedding they have and smelled them as was suggested but they do have a strong pine smell which I've read on here is bad but those were the only brand available so I didn't purchase those. Now I see that Small pet select sells wood pellet bedding and am wanting to know if this is the same as the horse bedding or will it have much less pine scent since it is being sold as guinea pig bedding. Now I plan on putting a layer of fleece over the pellets so does it even matter if it has a strong pine scent?
I currently use a fleece liner in half the cage and care fresh paper bedding in the other half which is ok but just to expensive for regular use.
Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I use pellets for horse stalls, I get them from a feed store. The smell goes away pretty quick. Just make sure they are kiln dried.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The small pet select stuff is many times more expensive than horse stall bedding. Online, they charge $27 for $25 pounds. I got 40 pounds of horse bedding for $8.

A layer of fleece over pellets strongly of pine won't protect pigs. The damage won't be immediate, but long-term exposure can cause liver, lung and skin damage.

Where do you live? City/state, not address. We might be able to help you find some pellets.

blancah76

Cavy Slave
I live in Orlando, FL

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Both Walmart and Ace Hardware show wood pellets when you google. I doubt they carry them in the stores, but you could probably get a bag delivered to the store for you and see what they're like.

Forest Energy makes TerrAmigo, which is the brand I used. You might contact them and see if they can give you the name of a dealer near you. Even if you have to pay for shipping, two bags, which are about $8 each, will last you a year, so you should still save some money.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.