Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New action from 1 of my guinea pigs

fyffe2017

Cavy Slave
So some of you will remember I got my female (beaten, mistreated, starved, very malnutritioned) and soon after found that she was pregnant. She had 3 babies, 2 which survived even though odds weren't in their favor. We now have momma, baby girl, and Bucky. Recently Bucky and baby girl, started chattering their teeth very loudly, and within a week one decided to squirt pee at the other! I was completely unaware that they could do that and as I saw with my own eyes there was no denying what had happened.

My question why would they do that? The two siblings have been observed sometimes raise their heads, get nose to nose, and squabble very loudly. They are in a 6x6 c&c cage, 3 separate hideys, and plenty of room to run and pounce around. Normally they are happy and content. Could this be a dominance thing, one of them in heat, or just a bad mood.

For the record they've never been separated and have been all together since birth. The mom is never involved, only the siblings. She's only squabbled once and then after a returned growl she never offered to get into it again. I kinda equate this to the human version of : I can mess with my sister, but no one else can.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Girls will squirt urine backwards if they're annoyed at another pig. Males can't due to anatomical differences.

Is Bucky neutered? Male babies are best separated from their mother and sisters at three weeks of age to prevent further unwanted pregnancies. Sorry if you've been told that before, but it doesn't hurt to remind people. Especially since it sounds like your adult piggy girl has been through enough already! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.