Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finally got the Cage!!! Yay!!

Not sure if you guys remember me. I posted an intro a couple of months ago along with lots of questions when I acquired a guinea pig from an acquaintance desperate to get rid of one. She had a tiny pet store cage and now I've finally got her new home done. Well almost done. I've got one more drawer on the way. Thought I was going to configure this differently when I first ordered them. Also, I have all the materials to make my own fleece flippers, but I haven't had the chance to make them yet. I'm planning to have those done sometime next week. I moved her in tonight with just CareFresh as the bedding all over. I'm picking a up a buddy for her in a couple of weeks as well! Can't wait!

Anyway only one question. I've used connectors and cable ties to assemble the grids, but it still seems to wobble and sway a bit when she runs around. Is that normal?

So what do ya think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	85719

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	85720

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	85721

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,135 Rec'd/5,677 Posts
    Mentioned
    2004 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3708 Post(s)

Re: Finally got the Cage!!! Yay!!

Did you use pliers to snap the grids into the connectors? They're hard to snap together, but if you don't, you'll get wobbling.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,497 Rec'd/1,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    564 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1105 Post(s)

Agree with @bpatters. Be sure to securely seat each grid in its connector. But, in addition buy a high-temperature hot glue gun. You can find them at Home Depot or at crafts places like Joann Fabrics. Put a drop or two of hot glue everywhere a grid meets a connector and that will make your cage super sturdy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Add grids going across the back, on the bottom underneath! They’ll add some side-to-side stability. If there’s some already there, add some in the middle of the cage (underneath and behind the storage)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I didn’t use pliers, but they did ‘snap’ into place. I did not put supports across the back at the bottom though, just the 5 rows of ‘legs’ I will try that when I get home.

Also, I’m pretty positive she has never had a cage this big, or with a 2nd level. She explored a little last night but mostly seems jumpy and quick to run back to her hidey. I tried putting her on the ramp to teach her what it is, but I’m worried she won’t figure it out.... Any suggestions? How log before she gets comfortable in her new space?

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Yes!! Add the support across the back. My cage is 3x2 and above storage like that. The back support makes all the difference.
    For the ramp, I put a fleece tunnel on the bottom part of the tunnel and pea flakes all along it. They would climb up the tunnel and then turn right back around. I let them get comfortable with that. Then I moved the tunnel up a few inches and replaced the pea flakes they already got a hold of, and let them get comfortable with that, etc. I also put their favorite hidey at the top where they would smell and see it. Eventually one of the piggies made the journey through the fleece and into the hidey. After awhile, I removed the tunnel.
    The second piggy took a while to get brave but when he smelled the other pig enough, his little jealousy guided him up the ramp.

oh btw I love your cage color theme!! I wanted the black coroplast but decided to make my own using white. All my fleece liners I made are black and white, or purple.
    Last edited by Candalalala; 03-19-19 at 11:48 am.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,135 Rec'd/5,677 Posts
    Mentioned
    2004 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3708 Post(s)

She'll figure the ramp out. I taught mine to use one by putting them halfway up the ramp, and a piece of a favorite herb or fruit between them and the floor. I gradually moved the pig up until it was at the top and would come down on its own. Then I started the other way around -- pig at the bottom, snack halfway up. It didn't take long.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My fleece is black with sugar skulls and all the accents will be purple. Like hideys and tunnels etc. I can’t wait to get these done and get to see the results finally!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62A3A391-DA9B-43D7-BBAE-D6182C2B632B.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	85728  

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

You can add zip ties to help with stability too.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions! Adding grids across the back definitely fixed the wobbling.

So last weekend, I finally got Reecie new roommates. I found a pair, mother/daughter, not a baby though. They seemed to take to each other well. Reecie I think is the dominant one. She has even become much more friendlier with me since getting the other two. She doesn’t jump when I pet her or even try to run when I pick her up. After the 4 days I spent out of town, even before introducing the new ones, she acted so excited that I was home, running to me in the cage and everything! Bid difference than she how she behaved in the tiny cage.

Anyway, I finally finished my DIY fleece flippers tonight l! I already love it so much better, and all 3 of my girls seemed to love it too! They were all over the place, lots of noises and popcorning! ��

I’ve kept the food on the lower level since building the new cage, but ultimately I wanted it on the 2nd level. After cleaning it out and adding the fleece I rearranged the cage. I used lettuce to work on bribing them up and down the ladder. Took a few tries but Reecie has it down like a pro now. The other two seem very skiddish of it so far but have used it. Hoping they’ll learn from her.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here are my 3 girls and their finished house!
    Reecie is the Tortie
    Claire is the White
    Norma is the Grey (She’ll probably get a new name once my son decides on one.)

Name:	A54E2F4D-4F49-432A-90C1-580A1121BF87.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	85779

Name:	4A6B8F6C-D62B-42C3-AF94-BFA13A70379F.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	85780

Name:	E0B873F6-141D-473E-AB3F-53D6C8955695.jpg 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	85781

Name:	BB6977BE-5E40-46A1-9FF9-CE5918E9B665.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	85782
    Last edited by JenH1125; 04-05-19 at 10:37 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

That looks so nice! �� I’m glad to hear everything turned out great!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,497 Rec'd/1,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    564 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1105 Post(s)

What cuties! Good thing I don't know where you live........I've been known to pignap Abys!

Good job on the cage, but I think that you are going to need to make it larger, especially since you have three cavies in the space. I have two boys in a 2x5 with a 2x2 loft and would make the cage larger in a heartbeat if I had the space to do so. Also, I would put the hideys, tunnels, etc. around the perimeter of the cage so that the center of it is open for zoomies and other activities.

Is your loft offset? It is a way of building a cage so that you have better access to clean the lower level beneath the loft. If you construct the cage well, you won't need the extra support under the loft and it will make the cage seem more spacious. Below is the design I'm referring to:

Name:  Offset loft design.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  47.5 KB

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks!! I think I hit the jackpot with two girls I picked up last weekend! They’re all so sweet and interactive! And thankfully all got along well right off the bat! Claire is so cute with her bangs, and you can’t see in the pic above but her backside is black, it’s so adorable when she runs! And all of them love that little open fleece bed! I was really surprised that is their favorite! Couple more pics below

I will probably add a 5th row of grids eventually and I think maybe one of those swinging grids to give me an access door underneath. But I’ve got to do some rearranging and reorganizing in my boys’ room before I could make it fit any larger. I do have plenty of grids left over though, and part of why I chose to make flippers instead of one big cover was so I could easily add on and not waste my fleece. I will take your advice and move their hideys along the perimeter.

Name:	B5B3F9B3-E5F2-4971-A554-6B6FC80C8150.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	85788
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF86A585-BAFB-4055-84C7-101CB553E478.jpg 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	85790  

User Tag List