Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Finally got the Cage!!! Yay!!

JenH1125

Cavy Slave
Not sure if you guys remember me. I posted an intro a couple of months ago along with lots of questions when I acquired a guinea pig from an acquaintance desperate to get rid of one. She had a tiny pet store cage and now I've finally got her new home done. Well almost done. I've got one more drawer on the way. Thought I was going to configure this differently when I first ordered them. Also, I have all the materials to make my own fleece flippers, but I haven't had the chance to make them yet. I'm planning to have those done sometime next week. I moved her in tonight with just CareFresh as the bedding all over. I'm picking a up a buddy for her in a couple of weeks as well! Can't wait!

Anyway only one question. I've used connectors and cable ties to assemble the grids, but it still seems to wobble and sway a bit when she runs around. Is that normal?

So what do ya think? :)

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you use pliers to snap the grids into the connectors? They're hard to snap together, but if you don't, you'll get wobbling.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Agree with @bpatters. Be sure to securely seat each grid in its connector. But, in addition buy a high-temperature hot glue gun. You can find them at Home Depot or at crafts places like Joann Fabrics. Put a drop or two of hot glue everywhere a grid meets a connector and that will make your cage super sturdy.

JenH1125

Cavy Slave
I didn’t use pliers, but they did ‘snap’ into place. I did not put supports across the back at the bottom though, just the 5 rows of ‘legs’ I will try that when I get home.

Also, I’m pretty positive she has never had a cage this big, or with a 2nd level. She explored a little last night but mostly seems jumpy and quick to run back to her hidey. I tried putting her on the ramp to teach her what it is, but I’m worried she won’t figure it out.... Any suggestions? How log before she gets comfortable in her new space?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She'll figure the ramp out. I taught mine to use one by putting them halfway up the ramp, and a piece of a favorite herb or fruit between them and the floor. I gradually moved the pig up until it was at the top and would come down on its own. Then I started the other way around -- pig at the bottom, snack halfway up. It didn't take long.

JenH1125

Cavy Slave
My fleece is black with sugar skulls and all the accents will be purple. Like hideys and tunnels etc. I can’t wait to get these done and get to see the results finally!

Attachments

62A3A391-DA9B-43D7-BBAE-D6182C2B632B.jpg

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You can add zip ties to help with stability too.

JenH1125

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions! Adding grids across the back definitely fixed the wobbling.

So last weekend, I finally got Reecie new roommates. I found a pair, mother/daughter, not a baby though. They seemed to take to each other well. Reecie I think is the dominant one. She has even become much more friendlier with me since getting the other two. She doesn’t jump when I pet her or even try to run when I pick her up. After the 4 days I spent out of town, even before introducing the new ones, she acted so excited that I was home, running to me in the cage and everything! Bid difference than she how she behaved in the tiny cage.

Anyway, I finally finished my DIY fleece flippers tonight l! I already love it so much better, and all 3 of my girls seemed to love it too! They were all over the place, lots of noises and popcorning! ��

I’ve kept the food on the lower level since building the new cage, but ultimately I wanted it on the 2nd level. After cleaning it out and adding the fleece I rearranged the cage. I used lettuce to work on bribing them up and down the ladder. Took a few tries but Reecie has it down like a pro now. The other two seem very skiddish of it so far but have used it. Hoping they’ll learn from her.

JenH1125

Cavy Slave
Here are my 3 girls and their finished house!
Reecie is the Tortie
Claire is the White
Norma is the Grey (She’ll probably get a new name once my son decides on one.)

A54E2F4D-4F49-432A-90C1-580A1121BF87.jpg

4A6B8F6C-D62B-42C3-AF94-BFA13A70379F.jpg

E0B873F6-141D-473E-AB3F-53D6C8955695.jpg

BB6977BE-5E40-46A1-9FF9-CE5918E9B665.jpg

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
What cuties! Good thing I don't know where you live........I've been known to pignap Abys! :rolleyes:

Good job on the cage, but I think that you are going to need to make it larger, especially since you have three cavies in the space. I have two boys in a 2x5 with a 2x2 loft and would make the cage larger in a heartbeat if I had the space to do so. Also, I would put the hideys, tunnels, etc. around the perimeter of the cage so that the center of it is open for zoomies and other activities.

Is your loft offset? It is a way of building a cage so that you have better access to clean the lower level beneath the loft. If you construct the cage well, you won't need the extra support under the loft and it will make the cage seem more spacious. Below is the design I'm referring to:

Offset loft design.jpg

JenH1125

Cavy Slave
Thanks!! I think I hit the jackpot with two girls I picked up last weekend! They’re all so sweet and interactive! And thankfully all got along well right off the bat! Claire is so cute with her bangs, and you can’t see in the pic above but her backside is black, it’s so adorable when she runs! And all of them love that little open fleece bed! I was really surprised that is their favorite! Couple more pics below :love:

I will probably add a 5th row of grids eventually and I think maybe one of those swinging grids to give me an access door underneath. But I’ve got to do some rearranging and reorganizing in my boys’ room before I could make it fit any larger. I do have plenty of grids left over though, and part of why I chose to make flippers instead of one big cover was so I could easily add on and not waste my fleece. I will take your advice and move their hideys along the perimeter.

B5B3F9B3-E5F2-4971-A554-6B6FC80C8150.jpg

Attachments

CF86A585-BAFB-4055-84C7-101CB553E478.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.