Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Question Hair not growing back after injury

About two weeks ago, my boar Gunner (~two years old) received a wound above his nose. I wasn't present when he got injured but I assume that it was caused by one of my two other boars (both one year old). I took Gunner out of their cage as soon as I saw him & cleaned up his injury with a towel I had soaked in warm water & patted it dry before applying some Neosporin. I continued to apply Neosporin on to his wound every other day until it closed up.

Gunner's wound closed up six days ago & there's a bald patch of dry, scarred skin above his nose now. I'm wondering if I should be worried about the lack of hair on it, if it could be a sign of something more serious. He doesn't seem to mind having his scar touched & I've examined his body to see if he had been injured anywhere else but I haven't found anything. He's still eager to eat his hay & vegetables, his personality hasn't changed, & his feces look normal too. My two other boars are the same.

If anybody has any answers as to what I should do, I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gunner_Image1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	85708 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gunner_Image2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	85709

Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/455 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

Re: Hair not growing back after injury

Gunner is an adorable little fella!

It looks like he may have a fungus there as well. I'm not too familiar with that, so hopefully someone can pass along a little more info.

If it is, it's a relatively simple treatment. It could also be that there simply hasn't been enough time to heal yet, but it does seem like fungus to me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,194 Rec'd/5,729 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3764 Post(s)

Almost certainly fungus. See http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for treatment.

And it takes a while for hair to grow back from a fungus, so keep on with the treatment until you're sure the hair is coming back in.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thank you! I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow morning. If he does have fungus, do you recommend separating him from the others while he's being treated?

Thanks
    Thanks
    493 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

No, the others have already been exposed so there is no point in separating. Plus separating will be stressful for him and you would need to re-introduce from scratch when he is better if you do separate him.

If you treat with a cream (which i would recommend) just make sure to rub it in very well so he can't get any off and ingest any while grooming himself.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,194 Rec'd/5,729 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3764 Post(s)

I'd just treat him myself instead of taking him to a vet. The vet will probably want to do a scraping, which is painful for the pig and for your pocketbook.

If you treat him with one of the antifungal creams, use a q-tip and rub it in well. Wash your hands carefully afterwards, as you can get a fungus as well. If it's working, the spot will stop spreading, and the hair will begin to grow back.

If it doesn't work, you can switch to an antibiotic cream, but I seriously doubt you'll have to do that.

Ditto on not separating him. Everybody's already been thoroughly exposed.

User Tag List