Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Hair not growing back after injury

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
About two weeks ago, my boar Gunner (~two years old) received a wound above his nose. I wasn't present when he got injured but I assume that it was caused by one of my two other boars (both one year old). I took Gunner out of their cage as soon as I saw him & cleaned up his injury with a towel I had soaked in warm water & patted it dry before applying some Neosporin. I continued to apply Neosporin on to his wound every other day until it closed up.

Gunner's wound closed up six days ago & there's a bald patch of dry, scarred skin above his nose now. I'm wondering if I should be worried about the lack of hair on it, if it could be a sign of something more serious. He doesn't seem to mind having his scar touched & I've examined his body to see if he had been injured anywhere else but I haven't found anything. He's still eager to eat his hay & vegetables, his personality hasn't changed, & his feces look normal too. My two other boars are the same.

If anybody has any answers as to what I should do, I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

Gunner_Image1.jpg Gunner_Image2.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Gunner is an adorable little fella!

It looks like he may have a fungus there as well. I'm not too familiar with that, so hopefully someone can pass along a little more info.

If it is, it's a relatively simple treatment. It could also be that there simply hasn't been enough time to heal yet, but it does seem like fungus to me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Almost certainly fungus. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for treatment.

And it takes a while for hair to grow back from a fungus, so keep on with the treatment until you're sure the hair is coming back in.

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow morning. If he does have fungus, do you recommend separating him from the others while he's being treated?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
No, the others have already been exposed so there is no point in separating. Plus separating will be stressful for him and you would need to re-introduce from scratch when he is better if you do separate him.

If you treat with a cream (which i would recommend) just make sure to rub it in very well so he can't get any off and ingest any while grooming himself.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd just treat him myself instead of taking him to a vet. The vet will probably want to do a scraping, which is painful for the pig and for your pocketbook.

If you treat him with one of the antifungal creams, use a q-tip and rub it in well. Wash your hands carefully afterwards, as you can get a fungus as well. If it's working, the spot will stop spreading, and the hair will begin to grow back.

If it doesn't work, you can switch to an antibiotic cream, but I seriously doubt you'll have to do that.

Ditto on not separating him. Everybody's already been thoroughly exposed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.