Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My guinea pig passed away, should I get a new cage for my future new friend?

Lissandra

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone, I just had to put my little guy to sleep a couple days ago. We brought him in to get his teeth filed down, and they found a mass. They drained the mass a bit and let me take him home. He was lethargic on Thursday but I thought he was just sleepy. HE was eating a bit on Thurday when we brought him home, but on Friday he was incredibly lethargic, not taking food from me and I never saw him drink. The mass also filled back up with fluid already one day later... so with a very heavy heart I had to say goodbye to my little dude. He was over 5 and a half and i know he had a good life.

I really love guinea pigs, so I definitely want to be a piggie parent again but I wasnt sure how to... like, go about cleaning Jazzy's stuff up. Should I just replace the bottom of the cage? It has a canvas bottom and I thought it might be better to get a new one for the new piggie.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure Jazzy had a wonderful life with you, and you're going to miss him very, very much.

I would definitely replace the canvas bottom. If it's possible, dismantle the rest of the cage and wash it in hot soapy water and make sure it's thoroughly rinsed. This would depend on the material the rest of his stuff is made of.

Vinegar is also a good cleaning agent. The idea would be, if you're going to have other pigs using Jazzy's former home and belongings, that they contain any traces of Jazzy. This is especially true if you are (and I HOPE you are) going to have a pair.

I'm glad you have it in your heart, to take in more furballs. I'm sure Jazzy would have it no other way.

Another route would be to simply build a new, inexpensive cage for your new addition(s). Cube and coroplast cages are cheap, easy to build and make a wonderful home for pigs with endless configurations only limited by the space you can give them.

Lissandra

Cavy Gazer
Thank you ;w; he was so cute and funny. Its still hard to believe he is gone. :,c

I have a 2x4 foot cage (the midwest guinea pig habitat cage that is on amazon). I was planning on getting new things (like an igloo) and I have a new bed I never used as well as a new carrier.

I know it is frowned upon to get only one piggie, but that was what I was going to do again this time. We have the cage in our living room (the room we are in all the time). but Jazzy did run all over the house with me following him so he didn't get into any trouble... and I know he had spots where he pooped in the house lol
The other thing is I do have a cat. But she grew up with Jazzy (we had him before we got her) but I thinl she has been looking for her friend :c

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.