Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My guinea pig has pneumonia

Fei2143

Cavy Slave
Just this afternoon, me and my parents brought our 1 year old guinea pig, Bopo, to the vet immediately when we noticed his odd behaviour and he seemed to have difficulty breathing. The vet gave him oxygen therapy but did not help at all, and she diagnosed him with Pneumonia. The vet also gave him 3 antibiotics for a week and also said his condition is severe.

I just want to know if pneumonia in guinea pigs will go away or will they pass eventually once they're diagnosed with it? I've been crying my eyes out ever since the vet explained to me his condition and had no idea what I could do to help him or just make him more comfortable. Any suggestions would be great.

Bopo is still eating his hay, not much of his pellets and water, he mostly just lay in one corner of his cage now.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What antibiotics was Bopo given?

Whereabouts on the globe are you located? This will give us a better idea of what you may have available to you.

The antibiotics will almost certainly affect Bopo's appetite. You'll likely need to supplement him with water, and either Critical Care or a pellet slurry. Both will need to be administered orally via syringe. Do you have access to 1ml and 15 ml (obviously needleless) syringes?

You should hopefully see an improvement in Bopo a day or two on the antibiotics, but he will certainly need your help with food. If he doesn't eat and drink he won't survive, and if he doesn't do it on his own you will to force feed him. Additional Vitamin C if you can get it will also help.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Do you have access to 1ml and 15 ml (obviously needleless) syringes?

Don't worry about access to this size syringes.......IMHO they are useless for anything except liquids.

Almost any pet store will carry "small pet feeding syringes" in sizes of 10ml and ~30ml which are much better for feeding solids. If you don't have access to Critical Care through a Vet, you can order it from Amazon. In the meantime, grind up some pellets mixed with water to feed him. Even better than water is to use unflavored Pedialyte which most cavies seem to love. Buy the generic version as it is much cheaper.

I regularly mix organic baby food with the Critical Care to give my boy some variety. BeechNut makes some tasty flavors without added sugar....kale/apple, carrot/pumpkin, etc. If Bopo seems to have difficulty breathing, you can set up a "steam tent" environment to help him. Put a small vaporizer or humidifier in or adjacent to his cage and cover with a sheet or light cloth draped over the whole thing.

Pneumonia is EXTREMELY serious and can take a cavy's life quickly. Instead of crying and feeling helpless, make it your mission to help Bopo recover. Set up the steam tent, feed him by syringe.....both Critical Care and Pedialyte to hydrate him adequately, syringe some Vit. C 2x/day, and ensure that his cage is free from drafts. Show your parents our responses and ask your Mom to help you care for him much like she would take care of a small child who has pneumonia. The Oasis Vit. C drops are available in most pet stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Critic...4&s=gateway&sprefix=Critical+c,aps,149&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Kordon-OASIS-Drops-Pure-Guinea-2-Ounce/dp/B009ETOR20/ref=asc_df_B009ETOR20/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735502416&psc=1

Fei2143

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, thanks for you replies.

I live in Singapore where exotic vets are available!

Bopo was given aminophylline and baytril injections. Enrofloxacin syrup, Cotrimex syrup and theophylline for oral medications. The next day after the visit to the vet he was up and running again, eating and drinking well. However since yesterday he hardly pooped anymore. We stopped the meds because we were worried it might be the medications that caused him to stop pooping and he seemed very bloated. My mom will call the vet later and asked about it but is this normal? He is eating lesser now that he couldn’t poop, but is still drinking and peeing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The medications do cause him to stop eating, but the treatment is to 1) force feed him, because guinea pigs have to eat or they'll die, and 2) give a probiotic or poop soup about 60-90 minutes after every dose of antibiotic. If he's bloated, he needs immediate treatment for that -- a motility medication at the least.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.