Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Anyone know what is wrong with my pig

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Hi, I haven't been on here in forever because the three pigs in my name have passed away and I used to make me sad logging on, so I stopped. I don't know what is wrong with my pig, and I don't know where to take her to vet (last time I took my pig cuddles to the vet they said she was more then likely going to die because she was 4, even though it was just bloat) (my other pig gwyneth was 6 when I took her to the vet and they said she was very old and they didn't know what to do) I am sorry this will not be organized but I have been numb for the last year, I haven't been able to feel anything, and I now I can't stop crying uncontrollably. So my pig mounds is a skinny pig, she will be 5 years old in 21 days, and she is very lovable, my most sociable pig. She never runs loves love, etc, and she has been completely fine, eating lots of veggies, pellets, drinking lots of water. Hanging out with her friends, wheeking, popcorning, climbing up the side of the cage all the time to see me and get food.

I went to give my pigs some veggies and she was laying there like she was dead, but was twitching so I thought she was just sleeping (she sometimes looks dead when she is sleeping cause she is so comfortable) turns out she is trying to stand, it seems like one half of her body doesn't work. She can wheek and is moving her left legs up front and both in the back. So maybe it is just her front right paw that is not working I am not sure. I am not sure what is wrong with her and don't want to be told she is dying, and they can't help her just like my other two pigs. I am sitting with her in front of me and she is definitely still alive and very normal, but maybe a portion of her body can't work, Not sure how much because she is moving a lot of her body. What should I do? (sorry for how this is all over the place). She is trying to get up so so bad, it is horrible to watch. It is only one leg, definitely the right front leg.

Update I literally have no clue why she can't stand, she is moving the front right leg now, she just can't get up for some reason.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may have had a stroke.

It could also be signs of vestibular disease. How old is she? How long has this been going on?

I'm sorry, I see that she's 5.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like a possible stroke to me. And I'm sorry, but I don't know anything that can be done for that. She may recover on her own, or maybe not.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
sorry I didn't see the response as I moved back to the back to sit in my cage with her so she can be with her best friends kanks. Kanks keeps crying and my cat who loves the pigs is snuggling her too, I don't know what to do for her. Do I give her water and pellets slurry in a syringe? (I don't want her to choke so I am not sure) She tried eating a carrot but wasn't able to bite into it but tried. If it is a stroke what does that mean?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A stroke is a hemorrhage in the brain. It can cause temporary or permanent paralysis, or death. There's just no good treatment available for it in guinea pigs, and the situation isn't a whole lot better in humans.

If it were me, I'd have a vet evaluate her and give me recommendations. But I'd also be aware that possible the most humane thing to do would be to have her put to sleep. I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but this is one of those situations where you need to be thinking about the alternatives in case you actually have to make a decision one way or the other.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
My mom always has to convicne me that they are dead, (when my pigs pash and gwenny died I didn't think they were dead.) cuds passed in her sleep but even then I still didn't think they were dead, so how can I tell if she is dead, since my mom is at work right now? Kanks started cleaning her like crazy and then started crying, not wheeking, but crying like me. Actual tears, and now suddenly I can't see her breathing anymore. But I am still convinced she is alive, so how do I tell if she is alive or not?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry you are going through this. My heart goes out to you.

If you can't see her breathing, she's likely gone. You can try and put a mirror in front of her nose, and if it doesn't fog up slightly, she's probably not breathing.

If you pick her up and she's very, very limp, she is also probably gone.

Again, I am so sorry you have to go through this.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
She could be gone, but I am not sure. she looks half gone, but still half alive. She is super cold now even with the blanket, so she probably is gone. Suddenly I feel numb again just like before, weird. My mom is on the way home early from work and she is going to take me to west vet ( there actually useless in guinea pigs, my guinea pig had bloat and was told she was going to die.... -_-) but I don't like to not have a memory of my animals so I always have several pictures of them and get them crememated so they can always be with me.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I felt the exact same way, numb, when each of my boys passed away. Super cold is not a good indication, especially with the blanket.

I don't know what else to say. My heart breaks for you right now. We all know how it feels.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.