Thread: Submissive behaviors to look for ?

Submissive behaviors to look for ?

I'm looking at adopting a couple of pigs but for the best chance of a stable couple I want at least one submissive one and not two dominate one's. What should I look for?

Re: Submissive behaviors to look for ?

Try and adopt an existing pair.

Often rescues will have pairs of guinea pigs up for re-homing, if they are already living as a pair you don't have to guess if they have a chance at getting along or not.

Are you looking at adopting boars or sows?

The only way to gauge how a guinea pig will get along with another is to try them together, and even if a guinea pig has been submissive in a previous pairing they could still end up the dominant one in a new pairing.

That's unfortunate that you can't easily tell guinea pig personalities.

An already bonded pair is also not an option as I have a 3 month old single boar that I will now have and I can't keep a single guinea by itself. Two sows would have been nice but I'm now starting off with a boar.

Long story short he will need a friend and I want the best chance of a sucsses as possible even if it means he gets snipped.

The best possible chance for success for pairing up your existing boar would mean one of three options.

First is to find a rescue who allows meet-and-greets where you can take in your existing boy and try him with their male guinea pigs up for adoption, while this doesn't guarantee a successful pairing it does let you know if they absolutely hate each other from the get go. If you do pair him with another boar do not get any more to house in the same cage, when putting boars together they don't do well in any more than pairs.

Second option is to get him neutered and pair him with a sow three weeks after his neuter, once again there is no 100% guarantee of a successful pairing but a boar-sow pair is significantly less likely to have issues. If you go with this option you can always add more sows, as long as your cage is big enough and you introduce correctly.

Third option, and the least likely option, is to find a spayed sow up for adoption to pair him with, this would save him needing surgery but spayed sows can be difficult to find unless you have a rescue in your area the routinely spays sows.