Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Ikea Cage Hack: Resin on Wood?

CavyQueenie

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I recently got a used Ikea Sundvik bed frame off of Craigslist. As this particular model has a tall lip around where the mattress would be, it seemed perfect to convert into a MEGA piggy cage :)

I've just been having some second thoughts about the wood. I know the actual bed frame is pine, and I'm pretty sure it's kiln dried, but I emailed Ikea to confirm. Also, the Ikea website sayas the slats are made of "birch veneer, beech veneer, adhesive resin". Would this be a problem to have near piggies? They won't be directly on it, since I'll be lining the whole structure in coroplast. But will the "adhesive resin" in the slats produce dangerous fumes? Is it dangerous to store these in the same ROOM as the cavies? (I'm storing the disassembled bed components in the pig room at the moment.)

Thank youso much for reading!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's used for a bed, it's not at all likely to be giving off any kind of gasses. As long as you protect the pigs from chewing it, it should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.