Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Grenn's Medical Thread

ashleerose11

Cavy Slave
Hey Everyone!
About 4 weeks ago my boyfriend and I adopted Grenn and his brother Pyp. They are 7 month old boys.
Since we adopted them. I've noticed that on and off Grenn's eyes can be particularly wet and a little crusty. I always wrote it off because it usually cleared up the next day, and it seemed pretty minor compared to some of the pictures I've seen on here.
This morning when I was holding Grenn, I noticed that one of his eyes was much more wet that usual. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that he has a hair in his eye (much like when we get eyelashes in our eyes). I tried to use a q-tip to brush away some of the wetness, but he's definitely not going to let me actually get this hair out of his eye. Is this something I should be worried about? Or will he be able to get it out on his own? I attached images - it's hard to see so I drew an arrow to where the hair is. The other image is his other eye showing the amount of "wet and crusty" I usually see on him. 20190307_095155.jpg20190307_085608.jpg

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Re: Hair in eye

I can't quite tell if that's a hair or not... Do you think he'd let you try to flush the eye with a few drops of plain, saline eye drops? (Although, that may end up being just as hard to do...) :p

ashleerose11

Cavy Slave

Sorry I know the picture is hard to see. I can get closer and it definitely looks like a hair, but as soon as I stick my camera in his face he moves away. I could try the eye drops but I don't know how much success I'll have. He's pretty good about being handled but he's still very young and energetic and doesn't love sitting still if he doesn't want to.

ashleerose11

Cavy Slave

**admins: please change the title of this thread to "Is this bumblefoot? Something else?" Thanks!**

A few days ago I noticed that the leftmost toe on Grenn's back left paw is swollen. I decided to just keep an eye on it, but then today I noticed that the base of the nail is black. I honestly don't know if the black mark has always been there... it doesn't seem to hurt him when I gently squeeze the toe/nail, and his appetite and behavior are unaffected. Is this the beginning of bumblefoot, or something else? Do I need to get him to a vet or is this something I should just keep an eye on for now? I attached pictures, but he's very squirmy so they're not the greatest.
He has a fleece lined cage (no wire bottom), that I do my best to keep dry. It's been a little harder in the summer because they have a frozen water bottle wrapped in fleece to help keep cool and it sweats, but I change out the fleece wrapping it twice a day and monitor the area underneath.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

20190729_094748.jpg
20190730_231808.jpg
20190730_231825.jpg

ashleerose11

Cavy Slave
Update: I think it could be a broken/fractured toe. Unfortunately, I am leaving for vacation for 10 days and won't be able to take him to the vet before then. He is staying with my parents, but they are over an hour away and don't have access to his usual vet (or any exotics vet as far as I know). Is there anything I can do to treat this on my own? He doesn't seem to be in pain and he is still running around like crazy and eating fine, so if anything I think it's just a minor fracture...
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.