Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Congested Stuff in nose ??

Rigred

Cavy Gazer
I’m about to set up an appointment but do you guys have an idea what this could be? She’s not sneezing but she does puff air out of her nose like if she had something in it. She hates being picked up and when I did I saw this, she’s eats normal and hasn’t loss weight.

Attachments

086539B3-7C92-4CCE-AD2A-97E1E7A99DE1.jpg E89EF120-D076-4BD1-B6AC-3336B8B8E90A.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't quite tell from the picture, but is that stuff coming out of her nose, or is there just something on it? It looks like it might possibly be the beginning of a fungal infection. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html.

Rigred

Cavy Gazer
I can't quite tell from the picture, but is that stuff coming out of her nose, or is there just something on it? It looks like it might possibly be the beginning of a fungal infection. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html.

It’s not coming from the nose, that’s what I was thinking. Unfortunately I called the vet and he only has appointments till the beginning of next week!!! He’s the only vet that does guineas around here. I do have some anti fungal ointment I was given for my other piggie one time but who knows if it’s a fungal infection.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then I'd treat for fungus. That's the mostly likely cause, although it could be a bacterial infection. But if you use an antibiotic, you may actually make a fungal infection worse, whereas an antifungal will just be ineffective against a bacterium but won't make things go downhill.

Use a q-tip, apply sparingly, and rub in well. You don't want the guinea pig to ingest any more of it than absolutely necessary. Do that twice a day and see if it helps. Be patient -- it can take a while for a fungus to clear up. And keep using it for a few days even after things start to look better.

Rigred

Cavy Gazer
Thank you, I will do that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.