Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Post stasis diet

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
My 6 year old girl is recovering from a very scary battle with stasis. To complicate matters, she is genetically prone to forming stones. Her appetite is back so for the most part I've returned her to her regular diet. Her hay intake could be better so i'm still supplementing critical care. She has now, since coming back from the hospital, started trying to eat her fleece and chew on her hut and hay rack, I have no idea why. I gave her a ton of Timothy hay chew toys (along with her heaps of hay) to try to distract her but she always goes back to the bedding. I took a away her wooden chew toys (apple wood sticks and willow balls) because I'm worried her ingesting the wood would be dangerous for her very delicate GI tract right now. Thoughts? Should I reintroduce the toys?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Chewing is frequently a sign of pain. Not sure where it would be coming from, but I'd want a trial of metacam for a few days and see if that helps. If so, but if the chewing returns when she comes off of it, the vet could investigate where the pain might be coming from.

I wouldn't give her anything extra to chew on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.