Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Is this hay ok?

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
So I've been having a ton of trouble finding local Timothy hay or orchard grass for my pigs (which is weird because I live in an area with a ton of farms and livestock). I've had to use Oxbow (64 oz and 90 oz bags) for the last few weeks because of a lack of options, but I obviously can't keep using it for much longer at the rate they're going through it. Out of desperation, I tried yet another feed and seed store, where I bought a bale of Kentucky Timothy hay for $14. However, I'm worried that it's not good enough for my boys. I didn't see the hay until they put it in the car, and it wasn't green and looked pretty hard. I tried giving the boys a sample of a few heads from the hay, but they aren't touching it (and Mercury, in particular, is a fiend for timothy heads). I'm worried I made a bad purchase because I don't want to give the boys hay that isn't good for them.

What do you guys think? Is this hay ok, or should I see if I can return it to the store?

116.jpg

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Doesn't look good to me. And if your pigs won't eat it, then there's no point in keeping it. I'd try to return it if they'll let you.

As I understand it, timothy hay is harvested primarily in the mid-summer to fall months. At this time of year, all that would be available locally would be the leftovers from last season. That could be why you're having trouble finding good hay locally right now.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
Doesn't look good to me. And if your pigs won't eat it, then there's no point in keeping it. I'd try to return it if they'll let you.

As I understand it, timothy hay is harvested primarily in the mid-summer to fall months. At this time of year, all that would be available locally would be the leftovers from last season. That could be why you're having trouble finding good hay locally right now.

If that's the case, should I just stick to Oxbow or keep looking? Because summer is still a long ways away...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're buying Oxbow by the bag, you're paying a huge premium in price. Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, and KMS Hayloft all offer hay by the box online, which is way cheaper per pound than buying it in a pet store. You'll have to pay more upfront, because the boxes are bigger, but the cost per pound will be half that from a pet store. I've been using Small Pet Select for years and have never had any problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.