Thread: Is what i am feeding to my 2 month old guinea pig alright?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is what i am feeding to my 2 month old guinea pig alright?

I just got a baby pig from petco and I am worried if I am feeding the right food. I am feeding it cavy performance, green leaf lettuce, and alfalfa hay every day. every other day I feed 1/2 a baby carrot and sweet bell peppers. I don't know if I should add more foods with vitamin C.

thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,345 Rec'd/5,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    2052 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3944 Post(s)

Re: Is what i am feeding to my 2 month old guinea pig alright?

The pellets have enough vitamin C. But you don't need to feed both alfalfa hay AND alfalfa pellets. Switch to a real hay (alfalfa is a legume, like peas), such as timothy or orchard or meadow.

But you can get MUCH better hay online from places like Small Pet Select or American Pet Diner than you can from Petco. You'll have to buy in larger quantities, but it'll be much cheaper per pound, even with the shipping added in.

Your pig needs a buddy. They're herd animals, and do much better with a guinea pig friend. In some countries, it's illegal to sell a lone pig until the purchaser has another lone pig at home and needs a companion. And if you do get another one, any cage you bought from Petco will be too small.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    The pellets have enough vitamin C. But you don't need to feed both alfalfa hay AND alfalfa pellets. Switch to a real hay (alfalfa is a legume, like peas), such as timothy or orchard or meadow.

But you can get MUCH better hay online from places like Small Pet Select or American Pet Diner than you can from Petco. You'll have to buy in larger quantities, but it'll be much cheaper per pound, even with the shipping added in.

Your pig needs a buddy. They're herd animals, and do much better with a guinea pig friend. In some countries, it's illegal to sell a lone pig until the purchaser has another lone pig at home and needs a companion. And if you do get another one, any cage you bought from Petco will be too small.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners
    Okay thanks! I am planning on getting other pig soon. I have midwest guinea pig cage and I am going to be upgrading to a wooden or c&c cage when I get the new pig. Should I feed more veggies?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,345 Rec'd/5,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    2052 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3944 Post(s)

He doesn't need many veggies at this age, but I'd skip the carrot in favor of a hunk of red or green lettuce leaf. The bell peppers are fine.

But please see if you can find a guinea pig at a shelter or rescue to adopt. Pet store pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, and are often sold sick, missexed, with parasites, and the baby sows pregnant. DON'T put two pigs together until you've turned them over and compared their private parts to make sure they're the same, and never trust a pet store employee that tells you what sex the pig is.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    He doesn't need many veggies at this age, but I'd skip the carrot in favor of a hunk of red or green lettuce leaf. The bell peppers are fine.

But please see if you can find a guinea pig at a shelter or rescue to adopt. Pet store pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, and are often sold sick, missexed, with parasites, and the baby sows pregnant. DON'T put two pigs together until you've turned them over and compared their private parts to make sure they're the same, and never trust a pet store employee that tells you what sex the pig is.
    Thanks! I was planning on adopting both, I went to the pet store and saw her and I fell in love and ended up getting her. she was the only pig in the cage but I will still be cautious.

User Tag List