Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Olly: I accidentally exposed my piggy to chills! :( When will the URI show up?

CavyQueenie

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone :(

In an exhausted haze last night, I cracked my window and turned on the fan in the hopes of getting some 'fresh air' into the room, since my dorm's stairwell smelled like weed, and I wanted to keep the smell from seeping into my bedroom. (The cavy and I share a bedroom.) I literally woke up at 5:00 AM, recognized how DANGEROUS that was (since I'm in Vermont), and closed the window and shut down the fan. But I'm so SCARED my piggy already has a URI. Should I take him to the vet today? Or would that stress his body even more. He sounds somewhat congested when he wheeks, but there's no loud honking and he's eating well. He also zoomed around his cage this morning.

Thank you so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
URIs are caused by bacteria/viruses/fungi, not by cold temperatures. But if he's already incubating one of those, a chill may make it worse.

I'd just watch him carefully. If he gets worse, then see a vet.

CavyQueenie

Cavy Slave
Hi bpatters! Thank you so much for responding. He became more congested in the wee morning, so I took him to the nearest emergency vet willing to treat cavies. Because I set out for the vets' at 2:30 AM, I couldn't go to an exotics vet, as I don't know any exotics vets that work in the emergency clinics. However, I talked to the general vet pretty extensively, and she seemed confident his lungs were clear. She suggested I eliminate potential allergens, so I replaced his Carefresh bedding with linen (poo-picked several times today). This seemed to cause an improvement, which would make sense, since I began housing him on Carefresh around the time these symptoms started. Does this mean he's relatively safe from URI?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.