Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK What adhesive is safe?

tizzy

Cavy Gazer
Hello!
This may be an absolutely stupid question, but I'd rather sound stupid than risk my girlies!
Is there some kind of adhesive that is safe to use? I have some willow sticks and I thought about making them a little tunnel or some toys with them but not sure how to attach the branches together. I assume things like hot glue and stuff would be toxic.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No adhesive is safe. The pigs will eat it -- they love the stuff. If you look at the willow things you can purchase, they're all woven together.

But save yourself some time with the toys. Guinea pigs rarely play with toys. Try one or two, but don't go overboard before you know if they'll even pay attention.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A great "toy" you could try out would be to take a toilet paper tube (make sure you scrape it off) and stuff it with hay.

A couple of my pigs have had lots of fun demolishing them, and Sly used to love rolling them around or playing Godzilla knocking them over if I stood a bunch of them on their ends.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Never underestimate the humble paper bag! I would put the pigs' veggies inside, roll up the top, stab a few small holes so they could smell the food, and then drop the bags into the pigpen. Nibbler learned to grab the bag with his teeth and then sling the snot out of it until it ripped it open and food went flying. Tribble learned to wait for his brother to deal with the bag and then would collect the scattered food. Yay, teamwork! lol

Btw, a simple, long 12-pack soda box opened at both ends makes a perfect tunnel. Much cheaper than buying the willow tunnels, too.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
COMPLETELY forgot the paper bag, though Punkin and Scooter have more fun eating it than anything else!

tizzy

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much. The things I've seen aren't woven together. They are like stick tunnels. So maybe they have wire or something threaded through and that's how they hold together.
I have a mountain of toilet roll holders, my kids save them for the crafts that they never do! I also have a few paper bags as well! Does it matter if the bags have anything printed on or is it better that they're plain?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
With regard to the toilet paper roll, I use those or save the same from a roll of paper towels and just cut it in half. I cut up small pieces of carrot, dandelions, celery leaves, etc. and put them in the middle of the roll and stuff hay in the ends. That way it lasts longer and the boys have to work to get to the goodies.

In the past, I would spend time creating cardboard hideys, complete with reinforced ends with zip ties to stabilize the structure. I finally just gave up! Within seconds of putting the tunnel in the cage, one or the other was inside it chewing all around the entrance until the structure collapsed. I first resorted to just putting the structure in the cage for a half hour to provide stimulation, but soon gave up on the effort altogether. Now and again I will put the box that my protein drinks were shipped in for them to explore, but they seem to tire of it quickly because I think they don't like the slippery "floor". They would rather have fleece underfoot. Can we say "spoiled"?

I don't dare put any food on a paper plate for them. They eat the food.....and then eat the plate! And, yes, paper bags are good too.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Paper plates don't seem to have harmed any of mine. Just sayin'. But I don't use the kind that are plastic coated.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
That says it! I use the more durable (I guess plastic coated) plates and don't want them consuming much.

I'm presently having to syringe feed one of my boys and often do it at my desk so I can work during the process. My textbooks all seem to have bite marks and any other paperwork within reach. I've learned to keep anything valuable off the desk while they're occupying the same space. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.