Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Singapore/Malaysia Hello Everyone !! I'm a new cavy slave from Malaysia!!

Golden Bakkwa

Cavy Gazer
20181230_151151.jpg20181230_151341.jpgHello Everyone !! I'm a new cavy slave from Malaysia!! (pics are my son holding both of my cavies- Fritz (dark) & Pebbles (white & brown):)

I have uploaded a few pictures in my gallery (unfortunately videos were not allowed) :sad:. I have 2 "boars/ male" GPs (Fritz - dark haired & Pebbles- mixed haired) Would appreciate some advise on why Fritz is "humping" Pebbles practically everyday. Is it because it's "horny" lol and need to mate or just being playful. I noticed it "mounting" onto Pebbles at night....and Pebbles fending him off !! :confused::confused::eek::eek:

Thanks.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums.

If you are confident they are both boars then it may just be normal dominance behavior. Guinea pigs will mount their cage mates as part of establishing and reaffirming a hierarchy.

How long have the two boys been together and how big is their cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you turned them both over and compared their nether regions to be sure they're not the same sex? If they're different, please separate them immediately, as pregnancy and delivery are dangerous for guinea pigs, and the death rate for both sows and pups is high.

Golden Bakkwa

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for the warm welcome. I suppose they are what you've mentioned below. Establishing dominance....therefore I should be expecting them to "hump" one another...lol.
My living room is not big in size...therefore I only have a 4ft x 3 ft x 1 ft cage.
Does anyone know what the "purring" sound that they sometimes make mean? Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

If you are confident they are both boars then it may just be normal dominance behavior. Guinea pigs will mount their cage mates as part of establishing and reaffirming a hierarchy.

How long have the two boys been together and how big is their cage?

Golden Bakkwa

Cavy Gazer
Hi....they're defo males....:). Don't intend to breed any. Thanks....

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I only have a 4ft x 3 ft x 1 ft cage. Does anyone know what the "purring" sound that they sometimes make mean?

That size cage really isn't large enough for two boars. A too-small cage is one of the main reasons for conflict and will often cause such behaviors, especially if your boys are young.

The sound you are referring to is generally called a rumble and can mean anything from annoyance to "back off" to just an expression of "look at me.....I'm so manly". My boy Sparky has a wide range of vocalizations but his favorite is the rumble and he uses it frequently. Notice under what circumstances he uses it. Cavies are as different as we humans are and no two are alike or necessarily fit the norm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.