Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How old is my guinea pig?

topaz259

Cavy Slave
The guy at the pet store told me my guinea pig was probably four or five months old, but he's really small. After doing some research, I found out that guinea pigs at that age are usually bigger than mine. Is it possible that my guinea pig is just really small, or were the people wrong?
Here's a picture:
New Size Wesley.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He looks more like four or five WEEKS old, in my opinion. My boys, to give you an estimate at 5 weeks old weighed roughly 4-500 grams.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa. You'd be safer never to take a pet store employee's word for anything at all regarding your guinea pig.

topaz259

Cavy Slave
@Guinea Pig Papa Wow, I didn't think he'd be that young!
@bpatters Yeah, I shouldn't have listened to anything he said, pet stores are shady.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Guinea Pig Papa Wow, I didn't think he'd be that young!
@bpatters Yeah, I shouldn't have listened to anything he said, pet stores are shady.
Male guinea pigs are separated from mom at 3 weeks of age, and are fully capable of eating and drinking on their own at that time. When my current boys came to live with me, they were three weeks old to the day.

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Male guinea pigs are separated from mom at 3 weeks of age, and are fully capable of eating and drinking on their own at that time. When my current boys came to live with me, they were three weeks old to the day.
That does make sense, they said he had just come to the store.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
A cavy-savvy Vet can pretty accurately calculate a cavy's age based on a number of developmental markers. IMHO, @guinea pig papa is probably correct. Your little guy is quite young as evidenced by the shape of his face and the ears that stand up. Most cavies' ears start to "flop" forward in a few months......although I have a 3.3 y.o. boy those ears still stick up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.