Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Female or Male? Photos

TearLily

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to post again so closely to last post but about same Guinea pig I have from unreliable person. Could you guys let me know what you think gender is? Person said female. I pressed against her above area and dont see anything popping out?

I tried my best to get unblurry photos. Apologies. Let me know if more will be needed to determine.

20190214_145717.jpg20190214_145714.jpg20190214_145449.jpg

Thank you!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The photos are just a little too ambiguous to be able to tell one way or the other. However male guinea pigs do have a bone in their penis, so if you roll your finger back and forth just above the genitals you will be able to feel a firm line under the skin on a boar. It can also help to gently part the genitals, a boars anal sac looks very different on the inside than a sows genitals.

Here are some photos I took a long time ago of some 4 week old guinea pigs with their genitals gently parted for comparison.

Here is a sow

IMG_3180.jpg

Here is a boar

IMG_3182.jpg

TearLily

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys. I will check again soon. The bone tip definitely helps a lot. I've been looking at lots of photos but this Guinea pig is kind of in between to me with the photos I've seen plus she is very small so probably much younger than the person told me of 6 months

TearLily

Cavy Slave
Thank you again for your tip about feeling them which is awkward for the pig and me but I rechecked her and yes for sure a girl and checked all my others and they look the same with no weird feeling. I feel a lot better now because its stressful doubting the gender before introducing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.