Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Dishpan for kitchen?

TzuGal

Cavy Slave
We made a decent size kitchen out of leftover Coroplast but we are having difficulty keeping it clean because they like to pee in the corners and the corners are difficult to clean (I have my six year old cleaning them and filling up hay/pellets/veggies under my supervision).

I was wondering if anyone uses dish pans from the dollar tree as a kitchen/litter box. They are smaller but have rounded corners, which is easier for my son to wipe down. The sides are low enough for my girls to get into it. I would also like to have a few so that I can have clean ones with liners already in them when we have to get piggy sitters or know that we won’t have time for a full cleaning (We clean and replace fleece in the kitchen daily and sweep once a day).

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If it is of adequate size, I don't know why it wouldn't work. I repurpose all sorts of items for piggy use. You might also consider a plastic litter pan even if you need to cut a doorway in it. Cavies will jump over almost anything if they're motivated and I suspect that food would be a strong motivator.

TzuGal

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I found a cat litter box at the dollar store, so I bought four (one for each cage liner). They are 10”x14” and are low enough for the girls to hop over the side. Having several allows me to take out the pan and toss the liner into a laundry bin daily, then stack the bins in the garage to clean all at once 2-3 times per week. My mother in law is making me 8 litter box fleece flippers and two full size cage liners, so I may go buy a few more boxes so that I can clean them once per week instead.

oh, and I had to strategically place a brick in front of the box to keep it from being moved all over the cage. It caused some major disagreements with my two girls for the first couple of hours because one kept moving it while the other was eating.

Attachments

8BB4BF4C-AA83-4094-B32F-DB2AB36006C7.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditch the pigloo, too, or cut another hole it. Hideys with one hole are just invitations for one pig to trap another and get its nose slashed.

TzuGal

Cavy Slave
Ditch the pigloo, too, or cut another hole it. Hideys with one hole are just invitations for one pig to trap another and get its nose slashed.

Will do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.