Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Scratching, biting, and balding?

Peanut123

Cavy Slave
About a month ago, I noticed my guinea pig scratching and biting at her skin a lot and I saw she had some bald spots. I took her to the vet and they tested her for mites and other parasites but that came back negative. After, they tested her for a fungal infection and ringworms but that also came back negative. She is still scratching and biting herself and she's losing a lot of hair. Does anyone know why this is happening or what I can do to help her?

She's 2 and half years old. The vet said her weight, heart, kidneys, and everything is healthy.
Thanks in advance!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If she were mine I would go ahead and treat for mites anyway. The test for mites is notorious for having false negative results at least half the time as it depends on there being mites present in the exact spot they are testing at the exact time they are testing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @Soecara. And find a new vet.

Peanut123

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the help! I’ll treat her for mites and keep this post updated on how it goes

Rigred

Cavy Gazer
About a month ago, I noticed my guinea pig scratching and biting at her skin a lot and I saw she had some bald spots. I took her to the vet and they tested her for mites and other parasites but that came back negative. After, they tested her for a fungal infection and ringworms but that also came back negative. She is still scratching and biting herself and she's losing a lot of hair. Does anyone know why this is happening or what I can do to help her?

She's 2 and half years old. The vet said her weight, heart, kidneys, and everything is healthy.
Thanks in advance!

My girl had the same problem in her nose area, she was starting to get a bald spot. The vet did the test you mentioned and got the same results. vet gave me an anti fungus ointment and soap. I applied the ointment to the nose area and quickly saw results, however........ I discovered she was scratching two spots all the time and after I inspected the two spots, I found out she had two bald spots there. I suppose her nose was infected when she would scratch, so now I’m applying the ointment to the two spots and gave her a bath with the soap I was given.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need a better vet. Skin scrapings for mites are useless. They're expensive, painful for the pig, miss the mites half the time, and the end result is the same -- treat for mites. Same thing for fungus.

Where on her body are the spots? Things on the nose and face are far more apt to be fungus than mites. Things on the sides and back are somewhat more likely to be mites than fungus. Either conditions is easily treated at hoe.

Also, can you post pictures?

Peanut123

Cavy Slave
What is the soap you were given Rigred? Is it helping?

Her face and nose has no spots or any hair loss at all. The spots are on her back. She is on her second dose of ivermectin and it seems like she's scratching a lot less. Here are some pictures of the spots on her back. There is one big spot on each side of her back and then there is some mild hair loss throughout her sides.

IMG_3427.jpg
IMG_3430.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.