Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Can't Get a Second Guinea Pig

topaz259

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I recently convinced my parents to let me get a guinea pig. I tried to explain to them that guinea pigs are very social animals and I would need two, but they wouldn't listen and told me that if I wanted a guinea pig, I would have to just get one. They had a guinea pig 10/15 years ago and she was by herself and they claim she was fine. Then again, they hardly ever let her get floor time and they had an 8 year old boy living with them, but that's another story.
If I give my guinea pig tons of attention, will he be OK by himself, or should I keep trying to convince my parents, and how should I do it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think you should get something other than a guinea pig. They're herd animals, and they're definitely happier with a buddy of their own kind.

topaz259

Cavy Slave
I think you should get something other than a guinea pig. They're herd animals, and they're definitely happier with a buddy of their own kind.
Sorry for not specifying, I already have the guinea pig, I got him a week ago.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Well, this is just my opinion, but I think you can give him a good quality of life. He will need a cage large enough so he can run when he gets the zoomies. He would be happiest in a busy part of the house to watch what’s going on and get veggie treats often, but your parents might want you to keep him in your room.

I would change up his cage each day by moving the hideys and the hay pile. Get some fleece and make a covered corner or a fleece forest. Scatter pieces of leaf lettuce, cucumber, carrots, and bell pepper so he has to forage. Try putting cut up veggie pieces in a wiffle ball, or hide pieces of carrot in crumpled pieces of paper so he has to figure out how to get them out.

Floor time is great as long as it’s safe with no electrical wires, other pets, or places to get hurt.

Talk to him often and he will learn to respond to you. He can also learn tricks. Hold a favorite veggie and say “circle” and then have him follow your hand in a circle. Eventually he’ll learn to go in a circle when you have a treat.

All of these things will keep him active and occupied. Eventually if things go well, your parents may see that you’re taking good care of him and maybe you will be able to get another one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.