Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My guinea pig keeps peeing outside her cage

PiggyMomma618

Cavy Gazer
Hello! My guinea pig Carmel is almost 3 years old! She has recently started peeing outside her cage EVERY single time she is out! Even if it’s only for a few short minutes. Almost every time I pick her up no matter what time of the day she seems to have just peed and has a slightly wet or super wet bum. She has not had accidents outside her cage for a whole! She is eating and drinking like usual and seems pretty healthy otherwise. She has a few crusties on her eyes but not many and they are very small. She doesn’t seem in pain but occasionally she will squeak as if we’ve hurt her but we have barely touched her. We are getting worried that it could be a problem. We will definitely take her to the vet if needed but our only vet in my area that does piggies charges a lot of money for a simple checkup so trying to avoid that if we can! We will do anything for her though if that’s what needs to be done! Any suggestions as to if something might be wrong or if she simply has to pee a lot? Also it’s been pretty hot in my room to the point where I need the fan on so I was wondering if maybe she’s just thirsty and drinking a lot so she has to pee more? I know that’s a lot to read and I appreciate any help! Thank you!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have never had sows, nor have I had a pig with a urinary tract infection.

That said, it sounds to me like your girl may have one. Constant peeing and a wet bottom are signs that point in this direction.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm or deny this, but to me I think she needs a vet visit sooner rather than later.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds a lot like a UTI to me. You'll have to see a vet for an antibiotic.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Urinary incontinence and/or excessive urination can be a sign of a urinary infection and some other bladder conditions. If she seems to have a wet bum every time you pick her up keep an eye on her for urine scald on her skin in that area. Also watch her for other potential symptoms of bladder conditions such as squeaking while urinating, and blood in the urine.

Personally I would want her seen by a vet if she were mine.

PiggyMomma618

Cavy Gazer
I have never had sows, nor have I had a pig with a urinary tract infection.

That said, it sounds to me like your girl may have one. Constant peeing and a wet bottom are signs that point in this direction.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm or deny this, but to me I think she needs a vet visit sooner rather than later.

Thank you!! Will definitely schedule a vet visit right away!😢

PiggyMomma618

Cavy Gazer
Urinary incontinence and/or excessive urination can be a sign of a urinary infection and some other bladder conditions. If she seems to have a wet bum every time you pick her up keep an eye on her for urine scald on her skin in that area. Also watch her for other potential symptoms of bladder conditions such as squeaking while urinating, and blood in the urine.

Personally I would want her seen by a vet if she were mine.

thank you so much for the help! We will schedule her an appointment right away! She does something we call her bum wiggle dance when she has to potty and today when she did that I heard some small squeaks so I’m guessing it most likely is a UTI

PiggyMomma618

Cavy Gazer
Ok thank you! We will schedule her an appointment!😢🐹

PiggyMomma618

Cavy Gazer
Do keep us posted on how she's doing!

Yepper! I’ll keep you guys updated! Thank you again! We’re cleaning her bed now and scheduling her appointment!💜

PiggyMomma618

Cavy Gazer
Quick update for everyone! Carmel’s appointment is scheduled for today at 3:00 pm! I’ll let you guys know what the results are after!🤞😬👍

PiggyMomma618

Cavy Gazer
Quick update for everyone! Carmel’s appointment is scheduled for today at 3:00 pm! I’ll let you guys know what the results are after!爛

Carmel is in her way to the vet now! I’ll post how it goes when she gets back!👍

PiggyMomma618

Cavy Gazer
Carmel is in her way to the vet now! I’ll post how it goes when she gets back!
Our vet isn’t positive if it is a UTI (not a fan of this vet tbh probably switching) but he gave us some antibiotics to clear it up if it is one! She’s doing better already and is taking her antibiotics like a champ!❤️ Thank you again to everyone who commented! I really appreciate it!😘

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.