Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Travel question for the experts!

jsjjkelly

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone!

We got orders for this summer, and we're moving from Maryland to California. It's 2400 miles, roughly 40 hours in the car. We're going to attempt to do it in 6-7 days because of all the pets. We have 3 dogs (Shelties) and 2 5 year old boy guinea pigs. They're litter mates and used to being together. We have them in a 2x5 C&C cage now.

SO, this is what I was thinking for the move, but I have holes in my plan I was hoping you guys could help with.

I have a small hard sided cat carrier to transport them in the car. During the car trip, I was planning on adhering to the no water bottle and no food dishes because they could spill and get messy. The boys are used to fleece now, but for that many days in the car, I'm looking for something disposable. I don't want to throw away the dirty fleece, and I have no way of washing. And if it is in the car unwashed, boy would that smell. So I was thinking of using puppy pee pads in the car cage. Anyone tried them? If this isn't a good idea, what else could we use?

Then in the hotel, I was looking for a larger cage/structure so they could get out and stretch their legs. First I thought of buying a Midwest cage because it's collapsible (let's face it, space/storage is going to be an issue on this move). Then I was just at this pet show and saw these collapsable pop up kennels. I thought they were great until I saw they were $200. But they have cheaper ones in the $20 range that would work just fine. Has anyone used something like the popup things? They have mesh, and I'm worried about the boys chewing on them. They're not big chewers, but if they did early, I'd be scrambling mid trip and that's never fun. Here's the popup I saw: https://sturdiproducts.com/collections/pop-up-kennels. Here's the $20 one. (broken link removed)

I thought on the inside again to use the puppy pads, and then take bleach with paper towels to clean it all out. For the popup, I'm now wondering how to use a water bottle.... and speaking of, I need a small water bottle! My boys have huge ones now. Any suggestions?

I did see a tip of putting hay into toilet paper rolls. Definitely doing that. We can preload them and give them one nightly.

In essence I need a system that will work for this move from the point of the movers taking their cage, the move to the new location, and would work until the movers brought their cage back!

*sigh* I'm already exhausted and we haven't even moved yet! These boys are a part of our family and I've got 4 months to figure this out!

Thanks to all for your advice and knowledge!
Shawn

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Grids, like for a C&C cage, loosely zip-tied together. Can set up in any configuration you want, and fold flat when you're ready to go.

But I wouldn't put even bonded boars in a cat carrier for that long. Two cat carriers, or maybe a dog carrier.

Also, drive as long as you like. The dogs will be much more of an issue than the pigs.

jsjjkelly

Cavy Gazer
Grids, like for a C&C cage, loosely zip-tied together. Can set up in any configuration you want, and fold flat when you're ready to go.

But I wouldn't put even bonded boars in a cat carrier for that long. Two cat carriers, or maybe a dog carrier.

Also, drive as long as you like. The dogs will be much more of an issue than the pigs.

Thanks for this, but I think they'll be fine in this size cage. They tend to huddle together, so I'm not worried about them fighting.

I think it's the bottom of the cage that I'm worried about. Putting grids together on like a tile hotel floor would allow them the opportunity to push the walls around. I'm not sure that's really awesome. I'm also wondering how a water bottle would hang on that without any support? We have our grids secured to plywood here.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

This is the best solution I can think of as well. You can secure the two open ends together with a couple of binder clips. Of course, you wouldn't put them in this enclosure without something under it. Put an old shower curtain down on the floor in the hotel and ask housekeeping for extra bath towels.....and tip her generously. That way you don't have to worry about washing any fleece.

Get a bottle holder like the one pictured below and you can hang the bottle on the side of the grid enclosure.

Water bottle holder.jpgWater bottle holder side.jpg

Or perhaps even easier, do you live near an Ocean State Job Lot? You can buy a package of very small bungies about 6" in length that are perfect for securing a water bottle to the grids. I have the metal holder pictured above on my cage, but reinforce them with one of the bungies.

If you are going to use puppy pads in a carrier, be VERY sure that the blue plastic edges are tucked under. Every cavy that I have had was obsessed with chewing the blue plastic.......and then swallowing it! :eek:hmy: For that reason, I rarely use them any more.

What ever set up you decide on, but sure to do a "dry run" or so (pun intended) prior to actually making the trip. Let your boys spend some time in the carrier. Create the folding grid enclosure well in advance so that your plan is fool-proof once you start the journey.

jsjjkelly

Cavy Gazer
Or perhaps even easier, do you live near an Ocean State Job Lot? You can buy a package of very small bungies about 6" in length that are perfect for securing a water bottle to the grids. I have the metal holder pictured above on my cage, but reinforce them with one of the bungies.

If you are going to use puppy pads in a carrier, be VERY sure that the blue plastic edges are tucked under. Every cavy that I have had was obsessed with chewing the blue plastic.......and then swallowing it! :eek:hmy: For that reason, I rarely use them any more.

What ever set up you decide on, but sure to do a "dry run" or so (pun intended) prior to actually making the trip. Let your boys spend some time in the carrier. Create the folding grid enclosure well in advance so that your plan is fool-proof once you start the journey.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this! When I read it to my husband, he was kinda grossed out about using hotel towels and leaving the dirties behind! So, I need to look at the puppy pads a little closer so they don't chew (and swallow) them! I'm wondering about newspaper. Not ideal, but pared with a bleach wipe down when they come out may be a workable thing?!?! Have a no idea.

I saw something like this. Maybe a taller one may work to help keep the puppies out of the piggies cage. Then the water bottle would work. I have no idea what Ocean State Job List is, but I understand what you meant about the bungies. I wish guinea pigs were a more travelled pet. This is hard!

Thanks again!
Snip20190126_37.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can square up the grid cages by putting one grid on top at opposite corners. They're far cheaper than that pen you pictured.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Thanks for this! When I read it to my husband, he was kinda grossed out about using hotel towels and leaving the dirties behind!

Why? Just shake off the poops into the toilet and walk away. This will simply be an overnight solution, not several days worth of "piggy towels". From having been in the travel industry for 30 years, I can tell you that hotel maids have seen far worse than towels soiled with a little urine and fecal matter. :rolleyes:

Traveling with piggies doesn't have to be hard! That's why you are planning the trip in advance. Don't try to "reinvent the wheel". Keep it simple........try the suggested solutions that @bpatters and others have made. If they don't work, then come up with your own plan.

jsjjkelly

Cavy Gazer
Why? Just shake off the poops into the toilet and walk away. This will simply be an overnight solution, not several days worth of "piggy towels". From having been in the travel industry for 30 years, I can tell you that hotel maids have seen far worse than towels soiled with a little urine and fecal matter. :rolleyes:

Traveling with piggies doesn't have to be hard! That's why you are planning the trip in advance. Don't try to "reinvent the wheel". Keep it simple........try the suggested solutions that @bpatters and others have made. If they don't work, then come up with your own plan.

LOL! I have no idea. His initial reaction was "I am NOT doing that. That's gross".

I'm just in my head with all this. I definitely don't want to be on the road and find out something doesn't work. That's why the planning in the first place! :)

Thanks for all your help!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
For a small water bottle, how about the Choco Nose model? I use two of these for my girls and what I really like is they don't drip. If later you want a larger bottle, you can keep the nozzle and switch out the small bottle for a larger water/soda bottle. It should work on the play pen you posted above.

https://www.amazon.com/Choco-Nose-P...2-spons&keywords=choconose+water+bottle&psc=1

I sometimes bring my piggies to work and I use a washable whelping pad to line the bottom of a Prevue playpen. It is definitely wet at the end of the work day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just wondering what difference the size of the bottle makes. You don't want it in the cage when you're driving, because it will leak. Otherwise, one size is as easy as another.

jsjjkelly

Cavy Gazer
Just wondering what difference the size of the bottle makes. You don't want it in the cage when you're driving, because it will leak. Otherwise, one size is as easy as another.

Well, we have the large water bottles now, and the weight of them when full makes the grids lean.... I was just thinking a smaller bottle might be easier to travel with. And whatever structure I used in the room, the smaller bottle shouldn't make those walls lean like the big ones do.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Well, we have the large water bottles now, and the weight of them when full makes the grids lean.... I was just thinking a smaller bottle might be easier to travel with. And whatever structure I used in the room, the smaller bottle shouldn't make those walls lean like the big ones do.

I agree that you don't need a 16 oz bottle as a travel item. The water bottles are going to be mounted only when you are in hotel rooms, yes? With that in mind, you don't need a very large one. I had a small bottle for my folding playpen and it was no more than about 6-8 oz. You might also experiment with a bowl of water....a "crock type" bowl like one would use to bake flan. That would be an easy way to ensure that they have easy access to water at any enroute stops. Some cavies never learn to drink from a bowl, but it's worth a try.

My boys will drink from the bottle if I hold it in position for them.....no need to attach it anywhere just for a brief hydration break.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Put them in the corner attached to both grids. They should stay upright that way.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Put them in the corner attached to both grids. They should stay upright that way.
Brilliant answer.......why didn't I think of it? :crazy: But, it only works if you set the grids up in a square or rectangle fashion.......to point out the obvious.

jsjjkelly

Cavy Gazer
Brilliant answer.......why didn't I think of it? :crazy: But, it only works if you set the grids up in a square or rectangle fashion.......to point out the obvious.

I know... I didn't think about it either. I'm going to have to pick up one of those taller metal playpens only because we put our grids on the floor and our dogs could step over them to get to the pigs. Right now their cage is up on tables and they only bark at them when the pigs squeak. (I think the pigs do it on purpose to be honest). But we were surprised they can pretty much step/hop over the grids.

Now to find pee pads that don't have the blue liner. Thanks everyone for your help!

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.