Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Herbs Can I give them grass?

AkeakeJake

Cavy Slave
Hi, I am a new owner and I wanted to see if guinea pigs will eat grass? I have read somewhere that they can, but on the other sites that they can't so, I am confused. The reason why I am asking that is that my father got a trimmer (a green corded like on the link) so I can use it to cut my guinea pig's an outside enclosure and then I thought of giving them those parts for a treat maybe? I don't plan to give it for a meal every day, the entire day, maybe just for one mIs? Are there any grass I should avoid? I really want to keep them healthy so I want to do the research before I do anything related to their nutrition, I think it is the most important part.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the grass hasn't been treated with pesticides, or recently with fertilizer, and hasn't been mowed with a gasoline mower, it's ok to give. Just start with a little bit as a treat and gradually work up to larger amounts -- too much green grass all at once can cause diarrhea.

Sakkuse

Cavy Gazer
I plant wheat at home, so I give it to my pigs.

diazsjonathan8

Cavy Slave
As long as there is no chemicals on the grass it is safe to feed them on the lawn. We used to have guinea pigs and we had a cage for them that we put on the lawn during the day. They loved the fresh grass! We still kept timothy hay in their nighttime cage. But theoretically you could put grass clippings in there too for them to eat.
I do not know if nutritionally the lawn would be equivalent to their hay. You would probably still want to give them veggie treats.
if you are concerned about the cost of their hay, I recommend going to a farm supply and getting a bale of the hay. They usually have timothy hay there. It is very inexpensive that way—much cheaper than buying pet sized bags from the pet department.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.