Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior 14 weeks & agitation

Bambi5826

Cavy Slave
My girls are sisters and almost 14 weeks old. Lately they have been clearly agitated with each other. Chasing, chattering and nipping. Is this boredom? Could they be bored with each other?

We have a 2x5 cage with hideys/tunnels we change out every couple of days for enrichment.

We were thinking if this is boredom, would a 3rd pig help?
44b0bb6d580edb0dd38b8548e153a291.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay a couple of questions.
1. Are they litter mates? You mentioned they are sisters but sometimes people use that term in an adoptive way.
2. The cage is large enough. Chasing, chattering, nipping is normal guinea pig behavior. Do you have two of everything? Do the dustups seem to be over resources like food?
3. How long ago did you adopt them? Sometimes there is an adjustment period when a change of environment takes place.

Bambi5826

Cavy Slave
Okay a couple of questions.
1. Are they litter mates? You mentioned they are sisters but sometimes people use that term in an adoptive way.
2. The cage is large enough. Chasing, chattering, nipping is normal guinea pig behavior. Do you have two of everything? Do the dustups seem to be over resources like food?
3. How long ago did you adopt them? Sometimes there is an adjustment period when a change of environment takes place.
They are litter mates.

I do not see that it is over food or anything. It seems like they just do it to do it.

They have been with us for almost 7 weeks now.

Bambi5826

Cavy Slave
They also almost never snuggle or sleep together also.
I see so many people who have pigs that don't mind being right next to their cage mate.

Bambi5826

Cavy Slave
I got sisters that were 3 weeks old when I received them. I had them for three days before i realized they wouldn’t cuddle together like babies would. One of them seemed to bully the other one out of her hidey. They constantly rumble strutted around. Turns out, one was a boy and the previous owner misexed him.
Are you sure they’re both girls? I don’t mean that as a condescending question, but I know sometimes it’s hard to tell.
The breeder assured me both girls. I haven't seen any mounting or much rumble struting.

I just don't want them to be bored, so I was wondering if a 3rd would improve it. I am going to up the amount of floor time and see if it helps.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it happens every couple of weeks, it's because one or the other is in heat. Or both. GPs come in heat about every 14-16 days for a day or so, and some of them have PMS.

I don't think you've got any problem here, and adding a third pig in that size cage will only cause more problems.

Some pigs snuggle, some don't. In all my years of having guinea pigs, the ONLY time any of mine have snuggled or slept together was while they were in the carrier on the way to the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.