Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Potential behavior issue - constant nibbling now more biting down

bluejae

Cavy Gazer
Okay, first of all, hi! I'm a new pig mom but I've been lurking around this forum since before getting my little guy.

So my little guy, Finn, is probably no older than 10 months. Ive had him for about 4 months. Hes not in the biggest cage, but hes got enough space. I will admit that he does not get out of his cage as much as I wanted, but he has plenty of enrichment, playtime, and we "talk" to each other all the time.

My issue is that, he has been a constant nibbler for months now. As soon as my fingers are in or near his cage, he comes up to nibble. At first, he never bit down except for the one or two times that I picked him and didnt support him well. It seemed part thinking I'm food. Then part exploring. But now, he is always nibbling and often biting down. I've tried telling him no, moving fingers away, and blowing lightly on his nose. However he hasnt stopped. Lately when I handle him, he nibbles and bites lightly but bites down whenever i get him out of his cage, but also whenever my hand is in or near his cage.

I believe that we are mostly bonded, because he always, always approaches me when I'm near his cage. He will wheek at me and chat and get exciting (popcorning, playing, etc) whenever I talk to him. He always takes food from my hand now (even if I just startled him). Whereas when I first got him, he spent more time frozen, hiding, or cautious. So, I think were pretty good. When I hold him, hes not always as eager to be held, but he often seems happy. He chills with me, sometimes nibbles or crawls around me. He rarely hides in his little hut, and often watches or just seems to be chilling with me.

Tldr: young guinea pig who generally seems happy with me is constantly nibbling and now biting down more with his constant nibbles. Always approaches when I'm at cage, immediately nibbles fingers and now bites down. The biting down isnt too hard like. Hes never drawn blood, and it seems different from the time he actually really bit hard because I didnt have his back legs supported well. But it does hurt a smidge. It always comes after the regular nibbles, like hes just increasing pressure as he does his thing.

I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong, that he could be aggressive or unhappy, and that it is uncomfortable and starting to hurr.
Thank you! I'm so sorry for the immensely long post. I just wanted to give proper background

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have a now 3 y.o. cavy who was a fierce biter when he came to live with us at 6 wks. old. I know the home and environment that he came from and could see no reason for the behavior. And, it wasn't that my fingers smelled like food......he would bite whatever body part he could reach. He once was sitting on my lap and I didn't respond quickly enough to him. So, he bit my nipple! That was the beginning of the end (so to speak) of such behavior.

I rarely ever raise my voice at the boys, so when I do, they know something is wrong. Understand that this is not recommended behavior, but I would snatch Chip up, tap him on the nose, and with his face inches from mine say sternly "NO.....no biting!" He is a nervous, high-strung, vigilant little soul and I think that his transformation came as a result of training him AND him becoming more relaxed and secure with time and patience. His brother, Sparky, is the ultimate mellow fellow which I'm sure also had an effect on him.

He simply did not know the difference between a nibble and a bite. Sparky did not like for Chip to groom him because he was too rough. Interesting with regard to his interaction with me, the bite transitioned to enthusiastic licking! He still will rarely bite if startled or if I cause him pain when clipping his nails (I've learned to wear gloves). For the most part he has really changed with time, patience, and love.

Honestly, it sounds as though you have permitted Finn's behavior to go on unchecked for too long! It is going to take some time and effort to break him of biting. I understand that at first when they nibble it seems cute. But when that turns into biting, it has to be discouraged each and every time. I would probably start with wearing nitrile or vinyl gloves to discourage him while you are figuring out how to stop the behavior. The change in Chip is proof that it can be done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.