Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mattress Pad Pee pad help

Piglet333

Cavy Slave
So I think I am going to remake my pigs pee pads. Right now the only place she goes is either in her fleece forest or in her kitchen. So i am now going to change her kitchen bedding daily to reduce smell and I change her pee pad in the forest daily. The pee pad is fleece with 2 uhaul pads in it but it smells by the end of the day and leaks to the cage liner under it. I was wondering if anyone made pee pads out of fleece and incontinece liners that are washable. I was thinking that doing this would make my cage liner last really long and I coukd just do small wash every few days of the pee pads. Would this be good?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It seems like a good idea, but I wouldn't do it. Yes, it will protect your cage liner, but the pee pads will smell pretty quickly. The waterproofing layer of the incontinence pad will hold the urine and it will smell as it dries. I use incontinence pads UNDER my fleece liners and note that they seem to retain odor.

I don't understand your current pads not absorbing the urine if they have two layer of uHaul pads in them? IMHO they are probably easier to change often and should wash well. If you decide to make new pads with the incontinence materials, do keep us posted. I'm sure that others have considered that as a solution.

equinox96

Cavy Slave
I have a rescue and use liners in all my cages. I have a few piggies that tend to pee on one spot and can get wet and smelly quite quickly but I simply layer pee pads one on top of the other and these does the trick. My female cage has 7 females at the moment and the all tend to pee under the mezzanine and I've never have pee drip or leak. Sure it smells like pee by the end of the day but I just change the top layer and I'm good to go.

I have tried using incontinence pads under my liner by I found that it smelled and didn't seem to dry as quickly. They weren't sewn as a bottom layer just put under the liner so no, I would never consider using that as a backing. I find the bottom layer of fleece helps the uhaul dry faster.

How have you been washing your liners, maybe that were your problem lies.

You need to always use unscented laundry detergent, make sure vinegar goes in the rinse cycle only and never ever use fabric softener in the washer or dryer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.