Thread: Adopting a Long-Distance Piggy... Best way to manage the drive?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Adopting a Long-Distance Piggy... Best way to manage the drive?

Hello everyone

These forums are such an impeccable resource! I'm about to adopt my first two guinea pigs, and your posts have provided *SO* much guidance. So thank you

There's a spayed female guinea pig in need of a home, and I would love to adopt her, since she would make an awesome companion for an intact male. Since many SPCAs and rescues are overrun with lonely boars, I would love to give one of these boars a home with this spayed female pig.

THE CHALLENGE IS... this pig is 10 hours away from me. While I (and the pig's owner) don't mind the distance, I'm unsure the best way to transport a guinea pig this far. While I've purchased a 24-inch, hard plastic cat carrier, I don't know if it would be best to transport her in her current enclosure, as this may serve to provide some comfort. Her current enclosure is wire and lined with wood shavings. Were I to use the carrier, I would line it with towels and paper bedding.

Also, I plan on breaking the return drive into two days (so she's only in the car five hours per day.) Do you think this is necessary and ideal? Or should I make the entire drive in one day, so she can move into her new, forever home as soon as possible? Also, should I then take her to the SPCA to meet with potential boars? Or should I simply bring a boar home and introduce the two gradually?

Thank you so much!
    Alison

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    396 Post(s)

Re: Adopting a Long-Distance Piggy... Best way to manage the drive?

I wouldn't worry too much about driving a pig that distance. Every year or so I drive from Maryland to Florida with my two pigs (about 15 hours), generally all in one go instead of broken up into separate days. I don't think it matters too much whether you go with doing it in one go or breaking it up. Just do what's best for you. I would go with transporting her in your carrier rather than her current cage because it would be safer in case of an accident. Stop every few hours to feed her some wet veggies in order to keep her hydrated and fed.

As far as getting a boar for her, you would have to contact the SPCA to see if they would allow you to try introductions there. Personally, I'd just choose a boar I like and accept the risk of doing introductions at home because the stressful environment of the shelter might not help you much anyway. The upside is that male-female pairings seem to have a better chance of going well than same sex pairings. Here's a good guide on introductions to give you an idea of how to do it: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2023 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Ditto ThePigAlchemist on all points.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you so much, everyone! I think I'll do the drive in one day, but with food and water stops every 1.5 to 2 hours

User Tag List