Thread: Trouble In Paradise

Trouble In Paradise

I bought my first guinea pig on Halloween of 2018. I figured she was lonely so I bought Maisy a playmate. Her name is Susan and she is roughly 3 months old. Maisy is about 6 months old. I introduced them and everything went great, but I do not feel comfortable putting them in the same cage yet. Maisy has been obnoxious with her wheeking and will not stop biting her cage. Susan wants nothing to do with Maisy and seems fine in her house. Maisy has chew toys and lots of hay, food, and water available to her at all times. I do not know what to do at this point. She keeps me up, her noises prevent me from doing my homework (I'ma college student). She never seems satisfied if I take her out for play time, she runs away from me when I try to pick her up, but its obvious she wants to play. Any idea what would help?

Re: Trouble In Paradise

Proper introductions would help. What doesn't help is putting them together and then separating them over and over. Guinea pigs are wired to establish dominance, and you just have to let them do it. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

Guinea pigs will make some noises at night, and even more early in the morning. If you have to keep them in your room, then I recommend silicone ear plugs.

Most guinea pig dislike being picked up, and will run whenever you try. With a lot of patience, you can train them out of that, but don't expect it to be a quick process.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners

Re: Trouble In Paradise

Maisy might be bar chewing and make a lot of noise because she knows Susan is nearby and wants to go to her. If you introduce them properly and put them into a single cage it may help her calm down.