Thanks
    Thanks
    862 Rec'd/695 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

Simon

I'm devastated to say I lost Simon today.

When I got back from my Christmas vacation a few days ago and picked him up from boarding, he was hiding in his house and his nose was snotty. I was mad that the boarders hadn't seen anything wrong, and I got him into the vet that day. It turned out that not only did he have a mild (at the time) URI, he was also in GI stasis. I spent the next couple days loading him up with Critical Care and a boatload of medications for motility and pain. He was getting better, and then all of a sudden he got really congested.

I got him back to the vet and started on Baytril the next day, but he never got better. He passed at the vet a day later when I was bringing him back for a recheck.

I'm gonna miss you so much, little guy. I knew adopting you at 3 years old meant I wouldn't have as long with you, but I don't regret for a second the 2 and a half years we spent together. You were so sweet and cuddly, and would always stay close by your friends when they were sick or scared. Run free and breathe easily with Alex and Ymir, and tell them I love them too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ComputerSimon.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	85582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simon.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	85583

Thanks
    Thanks
    453 Rec'd/409 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)

Re: Simon

Oh no. No no no.

I'm so sorry. And so soon after little Ymir. It is so damn unfair.

My heart goes out to you, @ThePigAlchemist. I know how packed full of love his life would have been, and I know you did everything you could.

Rest in peace, Simon. Know that you were loved more than you could know. Your absence will leave a pig sized hole in your family's heart. Now you can forage for all the delicious greens at the Rainbow Bridge. Say hello to Alex and Ymir, and make yourself some new little furry buddies. Til you meet again.....

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    862 Rec'd/695 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

Thank you, @Guinea Pig Papa . I can't believe this all happened so fast. Just a couple months ago I was marveling at how long it had been since the pigs had had any health issues. I shouldn't have even thought about that. I find myself wondering if the boarders could have caught it early if they were paying more attention, or if it had just come on that day and nothing more could have been done. Not that it changes anything.

Before I went on vacation, I adopted a new baby to be Simon's friend. He was so good with her, and she cuddled up beside him the past few nights when it was hard for him to breathe. I was hoping that he could be her mentor for years to come. I know that she will miss him too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    453 Rec'd/409 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    Thank you, @Guinea Pig Papa . I can't believe this all happened so fast. Just a couple months ago I was marveling at how long it had been since the pigs had had any health issues. I shouldn't have even thought about that. I find myself wondering if the boarders could have caught it early if they were paying more attention, or if it had just come on that day and nothing more could have been done. Not that it changes anything.

Before I went on vacation, I adopted a new baby to be Simon's friend. He was so good with her, and she cuddled up beside him the past few nights when it was hard for him to breathe. I was hoping that he could be her mentor for years to come. I know that she will miss him too.
    I know you'll find a little comfort in her. It doesn't replace Simon or Ymir or Alex, but the new ones help distract, and help redirect the love you have to give. When I lost Sly, the two young fellas were pretty much the only solace I had. They helped me through a couple of very dark times, when I lost Pooper and then Sly.

I won't go on vacation. I can't. Leaving the pigs scares me too much. I'll go away overnight or a couple of nights as long as my wife is home to watch the boys, but we don't go away together. Ever.

I hope you find some comfort in her. For you both.

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    390 Post(s)

Oh no, Iím so so sorry! And second guessing ďif onlyĒ is a horrible place to be. Iím still there from Ferbís passing.

Fuery, Alex, Ymir and Simon are together (Ferb is there too) having the all you can eat fruit & veggie buffet afterlife.

I hope your little girl piggie (donít know if you changed her name?) doesnít get too depressed. PM me if thereís anything I can do if you just want to chat.

Iím crying for you and Simon. RIP little Simon.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,105 Rec'd/5,650 Posts
    Mentioned
    1997 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3688 Post(s)

I'm so sorry. So much loss.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I am very sorry to read about Simon's passing. My heart goes out to you on your recent losses of Ymir and Simon. I hope your new baby piggy will be of help during this transition time.

I'm always worried when I go on vacation even though my brother and little nephew take care of my two girls for me. My brother worked in a university research lab where he became familiar with rodents, but it isn't the same.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/41 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing multiple pets close together is the absolute worst. Last spring I lost both of my last pigs within two months of one another. It was a rough and lonely time...

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,494 Rec'd/1,229 Posts
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1097 Post(s)

We just never imagine that these little furballs will capture our heart in the way that they do. Pneumonia is insidious, quick, and deadly. My Maya came down with pneumonia, was immediately taken to the Vet, but died before the antibiotics could work. You will never replace the two that you have lost, but your little girl will help your heart to heal.

Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, handsome Simon!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    862 Rec'd/695 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)

Thank you all. It really means a lot to me to share my grief with other guinea pig people. Though my friends and family sympathize with me, I feel like people don't truly understand unless they also have had guinea pigs.

User Tag List