Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Not Eating following URI and dry poop

GuineaMomther

Cavy Slave
I have two guineas that developed a URI, and we took them to the vet the 26th and he gave us oral medication and eye drops. One in particular looks healthier (his crusty eyes have cleared) though he does very rarely sneeze, still. He takes his medicine just fine, and he loved the extra attention and snacks but slowly stopped eating what he used to like. He would take a pea flake, spit it out- so we switched to his second favorite, cucumbers. He ate them for about two days and then stopped. We tried carrot, which again, he enjoyed and then stopped. Red pepper, and again, stopped eating it. It looked like his pellets were chewed up and spit out for a few days and he's almost completely stopped eating his hay. He will still drink, and take his medicine without complaints. While I was feeding him spinach, I noticed he was eating significantly slower than the other pig, who's fully recovered. And again, he hadn't finished.
He ate a few leaves and then it almost looked like he got discouraged and just gave up. He also sits in the corner all the time. Not even in the fleece forest or hidey huts we have throughout the cage.
I'd also noticed his poop was significantly smaller (you know, since he's not eating much) and is super dry (although he did have very soft almost watery stool tonight, following a failed attempt to get him to eat some bell pepper).
It should also be noted that his cage partner recently passed and he has seemed incredibly depressed- stuffed animals have done nothing to lessen this.
We can take him back to the vet for sure but of course it's costly and I would prefer to know what others think as well, if this is normal for some pigs while they're on medication or if this is due to the loss of his partner, anything is helpful. Thank you.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
what medicine is he on? Some antibiotics can affect their appetite. Is he getting any kind of probiotics?

I would strongly suggest you start weighing him daily, ideally at roughly the same time every day. Also I would advise you start force feeding him, if his poops are decreasing in size that is a very alarming sign that he is not getting enough food in, if this is the case he will start dropping weight and it could spiral into him developing potentially very serious digestive issues such as GI stasis. Ideally if you could get your hands on some critical care that would be best, but if not you can make up a pellet slurry (more info in a link below). If you haven't been giving him probiotics I would also advise giving him some an hour after giving him his antibiotic.

Here are some links to read for more info about force feeding him and giving probiotics
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

GuineaMomther

Cavy Slave
what medicine is he on? Some antibiotics can affect their appetite. Is he getting any kind of probiotics?

I would strongly suggest you start weighing him daily, ideally at roughly the same time every day. Also I would advise you start force feeding him, if his poops are decreasing in size that is a very alarming sign that he is not getting enough food in, if this is the case he will start dropping weight and it could spiral into him developing potentially very serious digestive issues such as GI stasis. Ideally if you could get your hands on some critical care that would be best, but if not you can make up a pellet slurry (more info in a link below). If you haven't been giving him probiotics I would also advise giving him some an hour after giving him his antibiotic.

Here are some links to read for more info about force feeding him and giving probiotics
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

It's hard for me to read the vet's handwriting but it looks like the medication they're taking orally is sulratrim(?) It does appear that the other pig is eating less but she's still eating far more than he is when I monitor them... I will definitely try the pellet slurry and try to get the critical care as soon as I possibly can! Neither pig is healthy enough for me to make my own probiotic for them, but I'll look into getting them some ASAP as well, I really appreciate the help!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Sounds like it is Sulfatrim, also know as Bactrim. It is usually the preferred antibotic for guinea pigs under 6 months of age and for urinary infections, it isn't as effective against respiratory infections as some other antibiotics but those other antibiotics (such as Baytril) can have much harsher side affects. Bactrim is generally considered one of the less harsh antibiotics for guinea pigs, and isn't generally associated with appetite loss, however it is still an antibiotic that will kill some of the beneficial gut bacteria.

There is also a probiotic for animals that many people on these forums have used for their guinea pigs called Bene-bac, I have never personally used it so perhaps someone else can chime in, but I believe you can get it at some pet stores and online. That may be worth looking into.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
If you don't have a healthy pig who could donate poops for a probiotic at present, you could use BeneBac, an animal/pet probiotic. You can get it off Amazon and sometimes at a petstore. Just make sure you get the type that says suitable for guinea pigs.

I think it comes in a few different forms, like a powder or a gel. I always liked the gel form that comes in a large dosing syringe; I would just squirt a little strip out onto my finger and rub it onto Tribble's front teeth and gums (which, admittedly, may not be the safest way to do it... Tribble was a very tolerant pig). If you don't want to do it that way, you could see if you could get the powdered form and either sprinkle on a piece of wet lettuce or mix with water and delivery orally through a syringe.

GuineaMomther

Cavy Slave
Sounds like it is Sulfatrim, also know as Bactrim. It is usually the preferred antibotic for guinea pigs under 6 months of age and for urinary infections, it isn't as effective against respiratory infections as some other antibiotics but those other antibiotics (such as Baytril) can have much harsher side affects. Bactrim is generally considered one of the less harsh antibiotics for guinea pigs, and isn't generally associated with appetite loss, however it is still an antibiotic that will kill some of the beneficial gut bacteria.

There is also a probiotic for animals that many people on these forums have used for their guinea pigs called Bene-bac, I have never personally used it so perhaps someone else can chime in, but I believe you can get it at some pet stores and online. That may be worth looking into.

Rereading his writing, it definitely is likely Sulfatrim. His URI symptoms are slim to none, although he's always sneezed occasionally, even at his healthiest. I'm most certainly going to look into the Bene-Bac and I seriously appreciate the help!

If you don't have a healthy pig who could donate poops for a probiotic at present, you could use BeneBac, an animal/pet probiotic. You can get it off Amazon and sometimes at a petstore. Just make sure you get the type that says suitable for guinea pigs.

I think it comes in a few different forms, like a powder or a gel. I always liked the gel form that comes in a large dosing syringe; I would just squirt a little strip out onto my finger and rub it onto Tribble's front teeth and gums (which, admittedly, may not be the safest way to do it... Tribble was a very tolerant pig). If you don't want to do it that way, you could see if you could get the powdered form and either sprinkle on a piece of wet lettuce or mix with water and delivery orally through a syringe.

My boy is very tolerant with me, so that might be great for him- I'm looking into getting Bene-Bac overnighted so I can give it to him asap.

I've decided I'm going to take him back to the vet when they're open again, he's not taking kindly to the Pellet Slurry and I can only get him to eat a few bites of spinach every once in a while. Thank you guys all so much for your feedback and help, it's so very appreciated, you guys have no idea!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have used Acidophilus powder from the drugstore, when Sly was on antibiotics. I usually get the capsules with powder in them, and then separated the two halves of the capsule and sprinkled a little bit into his Critical Care. It would also work sprinkling it into the pellet slurry.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm most certainly going to look into the Bene-Bac and I seriously appreciate the help!

I suggest the following source on Amazon: BeneBac - 3-pak/$25.95; one/$8.95

https://www.amazon.com/Bene-Bac%C2%AE-Probiotic-Pet-Syringe-Safety/dp/B00F0W2DNU/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1469798622&sr=1-3&keywords=benebac

Giving it by syringe is by far the easiest and most economical. The syringe is marked in measured doses and my cavies never minded the taste. You can refrigerate the left-over supply if you decide to buy the 3-pak.

GuineaMomther

Cavy Slave
Update for anyone who was worried about my baby: We gave him a small bit of banana and were instructed to give him half of his usual dose of medicine and the same night I saw him hunched over his pellet bowl chowing down. I'd even seen a whole, normal sized poop hidden among his bedding. He's eating his spinach regularly and I've given him some BeneBac, which immediately following him being put back in his home, he turned his back to me out in the open and pouted- then groomed himself. He seems to be doing a lot better and it's certainly thanks to you lovely people, so thank you so much again.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good to hear he's doing better. Please keep us posted on how he progresses, and don't hesitate to ask for help. If he takes a turn for the worse, get back to the vet ASAP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.