Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

White Urine

Hello. So for yesterday and today, our Guinea pigs have made a white urine. I know that their urine can be yellowish white, but this was pure white and frothy. They are both girls, so it canít be semen. I donít know which one it came from. It might be from too much calcium in their diet; Iíve read that might be it, but Iím not sure. We usually feed them a mixture of green leaf lettuce (not iceberg) carrots, raddichio, and kale, and have reintroduced cabbage, as they havenít had that in a long time ( of course they always have hay, pellets and water). Usually itís a mixture of about 2-3 of those twice a day. They are both 11 months old. Does anybody have any ideas why their pee is very white and frothy?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: White Urine

If the cabbage is new in their diet, take it out and see what happens.

Kale is very high in calcium, and should only be given sparingly.

What kind of hay do they get?? What brand of pellets?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

They get Kaytee all Natural Timothy hay, and oxbow essentials adult guinea pig food for pellets. I’m pretty sure these are some of the better brands to get and I do trust them. Should we cut out kale and cabbage altogether?

Thanks
    Thanks
    493 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    232 Post(s)

The pellets and hay should be fine, Oxbow pellets are good and so is Timothy hay. Just make sure to limit the pellets to 1/8 cup per pig per day, some pigs with ongoing calcium issues may need pellets limited even further but that may not be necessary in your case. Hay brand doesn't really matter, just hay type, you may be able to get the hay cheaper and fresher through other ways (such as bulk boxes online or a local farmer who grows it) but that wouldn't be causing the calcium issue.

Yes cutting out the cabbage and kale is a good idea. As kale is high in both calcium and vitamin C it is best to replace that with a low calcium but high vitamin C vegetable that can be fed daily, a good option for this is capsicums/bell peppers. For other low calcium vegetables that can be fed daily that you aren't already feeding some good choices are zucchini, and tomato (limit tomato to 1-2 cherry tomatoes per pig per day or equivalent).

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm curious about this as well - have 2 males that I adopted 5 months old - feeding them Oxbow essentials Cavy for Young guinea pigs pellets and oxbow western timothy hay unlimited all day. Twice a day I give them veggies - in am give them green leaf lettuce and green bell pepper in pm spring mix/romaine and cherry tomatoes or green bellpepper, or cilantro etc. They keep having a white colored urine and I can see it on the fleece. Am i doing something wrong with feeding? I have read alot and thought I was following the guidelines for young guinea pigs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

You are following the guidelines for young pigs. All guinea pigs have milky urine, and the young ones more so than the older ones. The only changes I'd suggest are to stop the romaine and cilantro. Both can cause excess urinary calcium in SOME pigs, but not in all. If you see less urinary calcium, then just don't add those back into the diet.

User Tag List