Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pig Shaking

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi. my friend got a new pig and of course i went to visit. When you pick her up she shakes so hard you can feel and just about hear her vibrate. I mean a whole body shake like she's shivering from one end to the other. She also tries to run. Acts like she might nip but diesn't although maybe that's because I moved out of her way fast, lol. Her heart goes a hundred miles an hour. Is this stress because she's new/ She won't take vegetables or anything and just wants to wrap up in her towel and hide. My friend wanted her for her children and I've got my doubts this little one will handle kids well. I was a little worried she'd stress herself into a heart attack, what can be done for her to not feel so bad? Thanks.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Here's a page with lots of information and links for new guinea pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Your friend's piggie is shaking because she's terrified. How long has she had her? New pigs typically take a while to settle in, and guinea pigs in general take some time to learn to trust humans. Unlike cats and dogs, guinea pigs are prey animals, so they naturally see humans as being predators who will try to catch and eat them. It takes a long time to convince them otherwise! She needs to be left alone without any handling to get used to her new environment and routine. Also, guinea pigs are social animals and should always be kept in at least pairs. A friend of the same gender often helps a pig feel a lot less scared. Finally, the cage setup needs to include places to hide so that she doesn't have to feel exposed to danger all the time.

Everyone on this foum is very nice and there are lots of experienced owners here who are happy to share their advice. Feel free to ask any and all questions!

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi, thanks. I've had guinea pigs before. I've been on the forum a little while now. I just read more than post. i've just never seen one act like that. My friend git her over this past weekend. The pig has always been alone, she's about a year or so old. If she had a computer I'd invite her to join but she doesn't have internet so I'm asking all the questions. She's an interesting guinea pig, sort of like a Silkie with curls really cool I jus feel bad for her. I don't think she'll be the pet the kids wanted, and I'm afraid the kids will make her worse. i'm glad my pigs didn't act like that when I got them.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi. Sorry i've been off the forum awhile. I had to send my pc outm then jsu give up and get a new one; hard drive issues. I wound up taking curls in. She just never got used to the kids and chaos of my friend's house. I'd say she shook for about 2 days once I got her. Now she's fine. Still skittish, still doesn't want to live with another pig, but likes talking to mine through the cage. and vegetables! Wow! can she Eat!! Very happy with how she's doing.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
It’s so good of you to take her in. If your friend’s children are pretty young, a guinea pig isn’t a good choice. They are skittish, frightened, and move too fast for children to hold them. The guinea pig usually gets injured. Curls lucked out with you!

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
They are 2 4 and 8 I think. mOstly it was Mom who took care of Curls not kids, but I don't think she liked all the screaming; i swear that's all the younger 2 do. so i'm not surprised she was petrified. I now own a cream color Texel Curls and she's terrific. and Mom still gets to see her at least once a week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.