Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump (graphic) how to know whether this is malignant?

Jodie.paz

Cavy Gazer
I've learned so much from these forums - thank you all! This is my first post and I hope you more experienced owners can offer your opinion...

This is a growth on the hind leg of one of my 3 1/2 year old sows. I discovered it on Sun, when the blackened center was 1/2 the size. It is about 1" (2.5cm) in diameter. Her hair had been covering it until then - we noticed only when the pressure built to the point where the skin began to die and turn black on top. We handle her daily so I don't know how we missed it! :(

The vet saw her Dec 31 and said it is a growth of a sebaceous gland. But unlike pictures I see online, this one is solid-ish (not fluid) so can't be drained. It is mobile, so he says it is simple to remove surgically. But in Canada even a 'simple' surgery costs $1000 so if this is malignant we would be considering euthanasia instead :(

In the 4 days since we discovered it, she has chewed the dead skin away plus some of the lump, so it looks nasty now. It is certainly growing, but I can't tell how quickly. He says it is pressure from the oil. When he squeezed it there was only blood and to me it looked like it came from beside the lump, not inside it. It is not infected. He suggested I put antibiotic cream on it (Polysporin) a couple of times per day. I've also increased her vit C from 25 to 50mg per day.

Because it is not fluid it is complex to take a piece and send for testing. We can't do it in advance of surgery because she would have to be put to sleep, and then sewn back up, and then we wait a week or so for results... which would likely not be as accurate as removing the mass and sending the whole thing for analysis. Plus she would end up having 2 surgeries instead of one - so we are better to take it all out, then sew her up. Prognosis in that case is very good. It is obviously bothering her because she is biting it. But her eyes are bright, her nose is clear, she is eating well... she just spends a bit more time sleeping than usual.

I have three questions -
For those who have dealt with lumps (cancerous or not) what is your best guess on this one? I know we can't tell for sure without testing it.
I have confidence in the vet who will do the surgery (scheduled for Jan 9) but less in the one who did the assessment. They are colleagues at the same practice. Should I pay another $100 for the surgeon to do an exam and give me her opinion?
Given the odd way that things are priced here, it is actually less expensive to have her spayed & remove the lump than it is to just remove the lump. I understand spaying is risky, but it also has benefits as she will be less likely to develop uterine cysts as they age. So - would you add the spay?

IMG_7259.jpgIMG_7255.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm no vet, but it looks to me like possibly trichofolliculoma. They're not cancerous, but do keep growing, and the pigs often scratch and bite at them, so they have to be removed. See https://www.guinealynx.info/trichofolliculoma.html.

If it were me, I'd skip the spay. I've never had to have a sow spayed because of cysts, and recovery from this surgery will be easier without the abdominal surgery.

Jodie.paz

Cavy Gazer
Oh my! Yes, from the photo (and the fact that it appeared quite suddenly) it does look like a trichofolliculoma - thank you bpatters! I'm so relieved that it is *likely* benign.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I meant to respond to this earlier but never got a chance to! Just wanted to share my experience with a sudden ruptured lump on my guinea pig. You can read her thread below if you're interested:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/116054-Mavis-Medical-Thread-Skin-Tumor

My pig's lump looked quite different, but we went through a similar process with her. It popped up seemingly overnight. It was just very well hidden behind fur and not in a region I often pet. I discovered it when it had ruptured, which was quite a graphic site.

She had surgery to remove it which went well and she recovered nicely. I decided to not send the lump to pathology because it was going to be around $200 and I personally was going to have it removed even if it was malignant because it was very well encapsulated and she shower no other signs of illness. She was 4.5 at the time of her surgery, which was almost 2 years ago, and she is still doing well today at 6.5 years old. It was definitely worth it for my girl.

Jodie.paz

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the response Sally, and I'm glad to know Mavis is still doing well so long after surgery. I can certainly see similarities between her lump and Sparky's - we did have black stuff on top, which the vet said was dead skin. My girl chewed it off but yours couldn't reach ;)

Our lump has stopped growing and looks about the same. Sparky is still eating well and looks healthy except she doesn't want anyone to touch her hindquarters (she whines when I try to put polysporin on it now, so I've stopped). She's getting 75mg of Vit C in divided doses each day to help boost her immune system, and I'm changing her fleece several times a day to help keep the wound clean.

She'll have surgery in 48 hours, and we will pay the $200 extra to NOT spay her at the same time.

I'm amazed at the variation in vet costs even in Ontario. You said yours was almost $400 last year. Ours is $1100 unless we include a spay, in which case it is only $900(?!) Neither includes histopathology, which would be another $200 with tax. I really like our vet, who is knowledgeable and experienced with gp surgery, and the only one in Ottawa who is a member of the Association of Exotic Mammal Vets, so I hope we are making the right choice!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Her surgery ended up being more, I believe with the meds and taxes I paid a bit over $550, but it was worth it.

I find vet care to be quite expensive here, but your pigs lump may be larger, deeper or more involved than my girls. Her's was a fast surgery that was pretty simple. I've been quoted some pretty high amounts though for other things. $2400 for bladder stone removal and $700 for an ultrasound were some of my higher quotes.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fingers are crossed and hoping that all goes well for your girls' surgery!

We've been incredibly lucky that we found the vet that we did. He's very experienced with guinea pigs, he is a certified wildlife rehabilitationist, and is also a member of the Association for Exotic Mammals. With all the dental surgeries and everything poor Sly had to endure, Dr Ker extended his life by almost another two years. We thank our lucky stars every single day for him.

Other than his experience, the other wonderful thing about him is not just the fact that he cares about the animals, but it is reflected in his billing. He is so reasonable that we could hardly believe our luck. More often than not, whenever Sly needed just a check to see how his molars were, we were not even charged. When Sly first fell ill earlier this year, they were absolutely swamped and we were still brought in the back door and seen immediately, at 5 o'clock on a Friday no less.

Waiting to hear some good news about how your girl is doing post-op!

Jodie.paz

Cavy Gazer
Wow, Guinea Pig Papa you do seem to have lucked out!

Sparky is home now and resting. There was a sebaceous cyst removed, almost 1" in size. 18 minutes of surgery, cost of $1000 and change. No antibiotics prescribed because it wasn't infected and because of its location it should remain so. We were given 5 days worth of Buprenorphine to use twice daily to keep her comfortable. She is on fleece in a 2x2 grid section of the cage, so she can see her cage mates but have her own personal space ;)

And of course I had to take pictures... I'll post them below as soon as they sync.

Thank you all for your responses and support, I really appreciate it and am soooo relieved to have my girl home safely.
I'll be at home with her tomorrow and Friday to make sure she continues to eat and drink. No news is good news :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wow, Guinea Pig Papa you do seem to have lucked out!

Sparky is home now and resting. There was a sebaceous cyst removed, almost 1" in size. 18 minutes of surgery, cost of $1000 and change. No antibiotics prescribed because it wasn't infected and because of its location it should remain so. We were given 5 days worth of Buprenorphine to use twice daily to keep her comfortable. She is on fleece in a 2x2 grid section of the cage, so she can see her cage mates but have her own personal space ;)

And of course I had to take pictures... I'll post them below as soon as they sync.

Thank you all for your responses and support, I really appreciate it and am soooo relieved to have my girl home safely.
I'll be at home with her tomorrow and Friday to make sure she continues to eat and drink. No news is good news :)

Glad to hear that everything is going well. I'm sure we will all wait to hear, as more news comes forth.

Way to go, Sparky!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Happy to hear your girl is at home and recovering well!

Jodie.paz

Cavy Gazer

Jodie.paz

Cavy Gazer
Thanks Sally & Guinea Pig Papa :)

Jodie.paz

Cavy Gazer
PS it weighed 3 grams

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.