Thread: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

I am planning on building a wooden cage for 2 of my boars, because I feel like they need an update
    I would build a c and c cage but I don’t love how they look and I have kitties too.
    So, what kind of wood can I use for the frame? They won’t be freely able to chew it, but just in case some naughty pig decides to run off during floor time...... what is safe? (Obviously non-pressure treated) I used to use aspen bedding, so I know that is safe, but my local lumber store doesn’t carry it. I’ve heard apple and willow are safe, but just in case I can’t get them, I’d like some other opinions. Any help is greatly appreciated

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

Oak, cherry, apple, aspen, linden, poplar, basswood and fir are all safe woods for these animals to chew on and live in. I would suggest to do a weekly “perimeter check” to make sure your wooden guinea pig cage is still fully intact. i also make sure that it looks great .. i get my stuff in aliexpress,here

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneRyan View Post
    Oak, cherry, apple, aspen, linden, poplar, basswood and fir are all safe woods for these animals to chew on and live in. I would suggest to do a weekly ďperimeter checkĒ to make sure your wooden guinea pig cage is still fully intact. i also make sure that it looks great .. i get my stuff in aliexpress,here

Could i use plywood to build a enclosure? The inside would be completely covered with tyle of something else so thereís no contact with the wood unless they were out for play time

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,153 Rec'd/5,691 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3722 Post(s)

You can use plywood as long as it's completely covered with a waterproof material -- tile, coroplast, linoleum, whatever. Otherwise it will eventually stink from the urine.

But FYI, using plywood is an expensive way to build a cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You can use plywood as long as it's completely covered with a waterproof material -- tile, coroplast, linoleum, whatever. Otherwise it will eventually stink from the urine.

But FYI, using plywood is an expensive way to build a cage.

Im going to be using it to build a multi level multi cage shelf unit thing thatís 6x3x foot with each section/cage being 3x3x3 foot

what else would you suggest?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,153 Rec'd/5,691 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3722 Post(s)

Closet shelving for the floors, and either closet shelving or cube grids for the walls. Look at the Photo Galleries on this site for ideas.

I'd just like to point out that a multilevel 3x3 is going to be hard to clean unless you put the whole thing on rollers so you can pull it away from the wall. I'm tall, and I'd have difficulty reaching across the top level of a 3x3.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Closet shelving for the floors, and either closet shelving or cube grids for the walls. Look at the Photo Galleries on this site for ideas.

I'd just like to point out that a multilevel 3x3 is going to be hard to clean unless you put the whole thing on rollers so you can pull it away from the wall. I'm tall, and I'd have difficulty reaching across the top level of a 3x3.
    Thatís what step stools are for and I donít want to use anything with holes except the front mesh since one section is going to have a gecko and another a hamster

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneRyan View Post
    Oak, cherry, apple, aspen, linden, poplar, basswood and fir are all safe woods for these animals to chew on and live in. I would suggest to do a weekly “perimeter check” to make sure your wooden guinea pig cage is still fully intact. i also make sure that it looks great .. i get my stuff in aliexpress,here
    I’m gonna assume red ok is ok since oaks on the list but what about birch or eucalyptus wood? They both are in the hardwood section at Home Depot?

User Tag List