Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 07, 2018
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

    I am planning on building a wooden cage for 2 of my boars, because I feel like they need an update
    I would build a c and c cage but I don’t love how they look and I have kitties too.
    So, what kind of wood can I use for the frame? They won’t be freely able to chew it, but just in case some naughty pig decides to run off during floor time...... what is safe? (Obviously non-pressure treated) I used to use aspen bedding, so I know that is safe, but my local lumber store doesn’t carry it. I’ve heard apple and willow are safe, but just in case I can’t get them, I’d like some other opinions. Any help is greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 13, 2019
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

    Oak, cherry, apple, aspen, linden, poplar, basswood and fir are all safe woods for these animals to chew on and live in. I would suggest to do a weekly “perimeter check” to make sure your wooden guinea pig cage is still fully intact. i also make sure that it looks great .. i get my stuff in aliexpress,here

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaneRyan View Post
    Oak, cherry, apple, aspen, linden, poplar, basswood and fir are all safe woods for these animals to chew on and live in. I would suggest to do a weekly ďperimeter checkĒ to make sure your wooden guinea pig cage is still fully intact. i also make sure that it looks great .. i get my stuff in aliexpress,here

    Could i use plywood to build a enclosure? The inside would be completely covered with tyle of something else so thereís no contact with the wood unless they were out for play time

  4. #4
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    28,228
    Thanks
    163
    Thanks
    7,153 Rec'd/5,691 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3722 Post(s)

    Re: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

    You can use plywood as long as it's completely covered with a waterproof material -- tile, coroplast, linoleum, whatever. Otherwise it will eventually stink from the urine.

    But FYI, using plywood is an expensive way to build a cage.

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You can use plywood as long as it's completely covered with a waterproof material -- tile, coroplast, linoleum, whatever. Otherwise it will eventually stink from the urine.

    But FYI, using plywood is an expensive way to build a cage.

    Im going to be using it to build a multi level multi cage shelf unit thing thatís 6x3x foot with each section/cage being 3x3x3 foot

    what else would you suggest?

  6. #6
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    28,228
    Thanks
    163
    Thanks
    7,153 Rec'd/5,691 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3722 Post(s)

    Re: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

    Closet shelving for the floors, and either closet shelving or cube grids for the walls. Look at the Photo Galleries on this site for ideas.

    I'd just like to point out that a multilevel 3x3 is going to be hard to clean unless you put the whole thing on rollers so you can pull it away from the wall. I'm tall, and I'd have difficulty reaching across the top level of a 3x3.

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Closet shelving for the floors, and either closet shelving or cube grids for the walls. Look at the Photo Galleries on this site for ideas.

    I'd just like to point out that a multilevel 3x3 is going to be hard to clean unless you put the whole thing on rollers so you can pull it away from the wall. I'm tall, and I'd have difficulty reaching across the top level of a 3x3.
    Thatís what step stools are for and I donít want to use anything with holes except the front mesh since one section is going to have a gecko and another a hamster

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 28, 2019
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Woods for cages?? Safe for chewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaneRyan View Post
    Oak, cherry, apple, aspen, linden, poplar, basswood and fir are all safe woods for these animals to chew on and live in. I would suggest to do a weekly “perimeter check” to make sure your wooden guinea pig cage is still fully intact. i also make sure that it looks great .. i get my stuff in aliexpress,here
    I’m gonna assume red ok is ok since oaks on the list but what about birch or eucalyptus wood? They both are in the hardwood section at Home Depot?

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •