Thanks
    Thanks
    541 Rec'd/454 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

Monitoring your pigs.

So as everyone already knows, I'm always worried about my pigs. Especially when I'm not home.

So I went looking for a way to remedy that, and I found this :

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing is unreal. Two way communication, 720P, pan, zoom, tilt and infrared for night. You can configure it to work from an SDcard, and to start recording or take pictures only on motion detection or stream constantly. You configure it through your phone onto your home network, and from there it works wirelessly. You can watch your piggies (or any other pets for that matter) no matter where you are.

And the price was the best part!

Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Re: Monitoring your pigs.

We used something similar when we were gone overnight last summer. My hubby set it up and piggy was under surveillance! When I zoomed or moved the camera to pan, she noticed and stopped what she was doing to stare and plan her escape. But at least I could check and see everything was okay.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You gave me a great idea! Thank you, now I will not worry about my animals while I am away from home.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,536 Rec'd/1,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1141 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    You can watch your piggies (or any other pets for that matter) no matter where you are.
    Yes, and you can also watch your wife when you aren't home!

We have a couple of similar devices that we used to keep an eye on Gary's mother who lived alone and had some dementia. They work pretty well even at night. With one of us home most of the time, we really haven't had reason to install them over the piggy cage, but have them if they are ever needed.

BTW, I found the recommended clipper set at Costco for $30. Any interest, or have you already made the purchase?

Thanks
    Thanks
    541 Rec'd/454 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Yes, and you can also watch your wife when you aren't home!

We have a couple of similar devices that we used to keep an eye on Gary's mother who lived alone and had some dementia. They work pretty well even at night. With one of us home most of the time, we really haven't had reason to install them over the piggy cage, but have them if they are ever needed.

BTW, I found the recommended clipper set at Costco for $30. Any interest, or have you already made the purchase?
    I'm more interested in watching the pigs to make sure she's looking after them to MY standards when I'm not there!

Yes, I am interested. I haven't made the purchase yet, haven't even been able to get into Costco. The truck makes it a tad bit prohibitive.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I'm more interested in watching the pigs to make sure she's looking after them to MY standards when I'm not there!

Yes, I am interested. I haven't made the purchase yet, haven't even been able to get into Costco. The truck makes it a tad bit prohibitive.
    WOW! You hit the nail on the head when you said our stories run in parallel. I would ask my wife to send me pictures and video of my girl if I was travelling for work.

Thanks
    Thanks
    541 Rec'd/454 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose13 View Post
    WOW! You hit the nail on the head when you said our stories run in parallel. I would ask my wife to send me pictures and video of my girl if I was travelling for work.

Nothing wrong with being cavy crazy, my friend!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Nothing wrong with being cavy crazy, my friend!
    That line doesn't work to well with my wife. That is one of the reasons I am waiting until the house remodel is complete before building a cavy condo. At least my daughter returning from college is on board.

I was already considering a camera system for inside the house and adding an extra cavy cam sounds pretty good.

Thanks
    Thanks
    667 Rec'd/575 Posts
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    348 Post(s)

My husband installed a hard-wired security system with cameras on the outside of our house. We then decided to install cameras inside the house. He put one in the room where the piggies live. I love being able to watch them from other rooms or view them from our phones when we are away from the house. Unfortunately, there is no sound but I like just being able to see what they are up to during the day. Of course, like typical pigs most of the time I look they are sleeping in their hideys.

Thanks
    Thanks
    667 Rec'd/575 Posts
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    348 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    My husband installed a hard-wired security system with cameras on the outside of our house. We then decided to install cameras inside the house. He put one in the room where the piggies live. I love being able to watch them from other rooms or view them from our phones when we are away from the house. Unfortunately, there is no sound but I like just being able to see what they are up to during the day. Of course, like typical pigs most of the time I look they are sleeping in their hideys.
    After I read my post I thought I better edit it and explain that only my husband and I live in our house. We aren't using the inside cameras to spy on our kids. Lol!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm using cheap cameras with ivms 4500 app. My uncle has a similar set for monitoring his bee hives. All you need is around $20-30 for each camera, the app, a stable internet connection and a smartphone. I have One Plus one, it's old but it's enough for this app. I always keep it on when I leave home.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a nice idea. I will go leaving my pigs at home without any worries from now.

User Tag List