Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vitamin C Tablets?

The oxbow vitamin c tablets are becoming too expensive to buy for my piggies! I want to buy some human vitamin c tablets, but I donít know which are safe. What kind do you guys(who live in America) use? Thanks for any replies!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

Re: Vitamin C Tablets?

Plain vitamin C tablets, crushed up. Or children's chewable tablets. Or VitaDrops Vitamin C.

Aim for about 30 mg. per day, no more than that unless the pig is ill. Don't put the Vitadrops in the water bottle, as vitamin C degrades very quickly in the presence of light, and they'll have nothing but funny tasting water.

But why are you giving supplemental C? Do you feed them a good quality pellet with stabilized C? Do they get veggies with vitamin C? How old are they?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Plain vitamin C tablets, crushed up. Or children's chewable tablets. Or VitaDrops Vitamin C.

Aim for about 30 mg. per day, no more than that unless the pig is ill. Don't put the Vitadrops in the water bottle, as vitamin C degrades very quickly in the presence of light, and they'll have nothing but funny tasting water.

But why are you giving supplemental C? Do you feed them a good quality pellet with stabilized C? Do they get veggies with vitamin C? How old are they?
    The pig I am specifically talking about is reaching 6 years old. My little baby is getting old He eats pellets and gets tons of healthy veggies, but he refuses to eat bell peppers and my vet said vitamin c tabs are good to use. Also I don’t think I’d use an entire dosage, maybe just 10-25mg because he’d of course get some vitamin c from his other veggies. Other than that, he’s a healthy boy, but I just want to make sure that since he’s getting old he is getting everything he needs
    Last edited by Nugandpip; 12-28-18 at 01:46 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

That's fine. Older pigs often need a supplement. But way too many vets recommend supplements no matter the age or the diet, so I was just checking.

User Tag List