Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Stool blockage and blood in urine?

chavi

Cavy Slave
I noticed my 4.5 year old male Java was having irregularly shaped poop (almost like half sized normal ones or squished small droppings). Doing some research I thought maybe he needed more hay and water, but then I noticed blood spots on the fleece under his little house. I checked his bottom and it looked like poop was stuck in his anus and seemed bloody. I took a q-tip and gently cleaned out his anus. What came out was some short-stringy looking poop and some poop clumps. I put him down and noticed about 30 minutes later that there was some poop under his house that looked like what I had taken out, meaning he was passing it himself? He also seems to smell, or his stool does, but a bad poop smell almost. IMG_3991.jpg

But when I examined him again it seemed like the tip of his penis also had blood. I'm going to the vet first thing in the morning, but want to know if this is something I should probably do tonight or take him for an emergency visit? I thought it might be a stone or UTI with the blood on his penis, but would the irregular dropping/impaction be part of it or something else? Could this be impaction or something worse? He is drinking and eating, but definitely doesn't seem normal. I recently added him as a friend to my other male gp, so at first I thought the behavior was due change of environment, but both gp's have gotten along fine after the initial introductions. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

IMG_3990.jpg
Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The bad smelling poop may just be the cecal poops they usually eat -- they're much softer and stinkier than the usual "beans." Cecal poop is definitely greenish in color.

The picture you've posted looks much more like poop from a digestive upset. If he's eating hay and pellets, I'd cut out any veggies for the moment. But I'd definitely be camping on the vet's doorstep in the morning. And I'd watch him carefully during the night for signs of bloat.

Going to an emergency vet is always an iffy proposition. If there's an emergency exotic vet, that's one thing. But if the vet doesn't have exotic experience, I'm not sure I'd risk it.

chavi

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice, all the veggies are out. However, I've just found his poop to be in a weird string-like arrangement. I tried to clean him and remove some still attached to his anus but it seemed to just tear. It almost looked like just air trapped inside. Any ideas what this could mean? I'm getting worried now that he may get worse before the vet trip in the morning. Still drinking and munching on hay, though, and still has energy to try to run away when I try to pick him up.

Attachments

IMG_3996.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.