Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing "All Living Things" castle - is the wood safe?

chavi

Cavy Slave
Hello! I just bought my guinea pigs a buildable castle from All Living Things, thinking there would be a package slip of some kind or something on the box that said the wood type/safety. I haven't found anything online and better safe than sorry...

Anyone know? or have you used this product before with no issues? They also have a barn hide made of the same material. It has no obvious scent to it.

Here is the product: (broken link removed)

Thank you!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In the picture, it looks like balsa, which will splinter. But I'd email the company that made it and ask.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I just bought my guinea pigs a buildable castle from All Living Things

I have exactly the same "barn" and it is indeed balsa. However, I have had absolutely no problems with it. The boys like it better than anything they have ever had....with the exception of cardboard. I don't notice it splintering, but that doesn't mean that it won't. I do suggest that you cut another doorway in the back of it and actually glue it together to give it stability. I even went so far as to glue weights on the top of it so that my "relocation expert" doesn't move it all over the cage.

chavi

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help! I put a little bed in it and it's become the most popular hangout spot. I gave it to them earlier and so far no splintering, but definitely lots of chewing and interest. I'll keep an eye out just in case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.