Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds to me like they're very relaxed, and falling asleep!

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Sounds to me like they're very relaxed, and falling asleep!

Okay, that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. It scared me the first time! I'm glad it's not anything bad.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
You should take them out daily to weigh them so that in and of itself requires handling them at least daily, write it down and keep track of it, try to weigh them at the same time every day. Tracking their weights is important so you know everyone is growing properly, and it will be the best way for you to tell if Dumbo needs one on one time with the mother is if it doesn't gain weight like its siblings do. Just keep in mind they will lose weight for the first day or two before her milk comes in. The babies don't always grow at exactly the same rate, what you are looking for is if everyone is gaining weight at a steady pace.

Just don't have them out for too long (more than a few minutes, except if it is to give a sibling one on one time with mum) too often (more than a 3 or 4 times a day at most), they need to be spending most of their time with their mother at this age so they can learn how to be a guinea pig from her (even orphaned baby guinea pigs really need an adult guinea pig role model). I always found it best to take one baby out at a time, they can be very squirmy and difficult to keep your hands on because they are so small, and often my mother guinea pigs would get very distressed if suddenly all of her babies were gone from the cage.

I would stick to only taking them out for short periods of time until they are two weeks old, then you can start increasing the time you have them out for.

If floor time is something you have done with the mother before and you are able to baby proof a floor time area you can start taking them out for floor time when they are around 1 week old.

Little Dumbo is up to 80 grams! And the other two are at 100 grams! They are all doing great and I will begin determining their sexes soon.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Little Dumbo is up to 80 grams! And the other two are at 100 grams! They are all doing great and I will begin determining their sexes soon.

Soooooo happy to hear this! No more issues with little Dumbo stumbling or falling?

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Soooooo happy to hear this! No more issues with little Dumbo stumbling or falling?

Not at all! He's a whole new pig! He loves nibbling on pellets, veggies, and hay out of my hand. It is adorable how when I lay my hand down in the cage, he will run up and start sniffing it and climbing on it looking for food. They are all such curious munchkins!

And Almond has seemed to recover really well! She's enjoying having new play mates! Haha

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not at all! He's a whole new pig! He loves nibbling on pellets, veggies, and hay out of my hand. It is adorable how when I lay my hand down in the cage, he will run up and start sniffing it and climbing on it looking for food. They are all such curious munchkins!

And Almond has seemed to recover really well! She's enjoying having new play mates! Haha

Great news ! I'm so happy for you and your new additions.

Dont forget to sex them soon. Any males will have to be out around 3 weeks of age.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Great news ! I'm so happy for you and your new additions.

Dont forget to sex them soon. Any males will have to be out around 3 weeks of age.

Yes, I think I will sex them today. They are a week old, they grow so fast! ):

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Yes, I think I will sex them today. They are a week old, they grow so fast! ):

Hi all, I thought I'd pop in and give an update real quick. The babies are three weeks old so I separated them today. Almond does not seem to mind but the three little boys are not enjoying (especially poor little Dumbo) I will be selling them soon ):

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
I know it has been a very long time since I updated you all last on the three piggies. I'd just like to say that they all found forever homes, all three are living together with owners who love them. I cannot thank you enough for all the help you showed. Almond probably wouldn't be alive, or the three babies, if it wasn't for all of you. Thank you! :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know it has been a very long time since I updated you all last on the three piggies. I'd just like to say that they all found forever homes, all three are living together with owners who love them. I cannot thank you enough for all the help you showed. Almond probably wouldn't be alive, or the three babies, if it wasn't for all of you. Thank you! :)

Thank you so much for the update! We love to hear good news, and especially when ALL of it turns out good. No other problems for little Dumbo? Sooooooooo happy to hear!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad to know they're doing well!

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the update! We love to hear good news, and especially when ALL of it turns out good. No other problems for little Dumbo? Sooooooooo happy to hear!

No! Actually, even though he is the runt he was always bossing around the other two haha! He would sit up on their hide out acting like the king of the world haha

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That's awesome. :)

I hope Almond is doing well too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.