Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 97

Thread: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

  1. #61
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballet2vet View Post
    And I cannot thank you enough! I hope you can get a good... mornings rest! You deserve it! I cannot believe somebody would do that for me from across the world not even knowing who I am! It's amazing what kindness does! Thank you again and again! I will update everybody on little Dumbo (I may keep the name even if it's a girl haha) and Almond and the rest of the pups.
    Also, I read somewhere that it is good to hold the pups a lot the first few days so that they get used to being handled by humans. But my mom (who is out of town) just said that you shouldn't hold them for the first day or two because the mother needs to establish the milk in the first 24 hours. Is this true? If so I will not hold them until tomorrow afternoonish, does that sound ok?

  2. #62
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Just amazing.

    It reinforces to me, just how amazing the members of this forum are.

    You may not feel like a hero, but I'm sure Ballet2vet, Almond, and her babies may feel differently.

    Thank you for being there.
    I cannot agree more

  3. #63
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballet2vet View Post
    Also, I read somewhere that it is good to hold the pups a lot the first few days so that they get used to being handled by humans. But my mom (who is out of town) just said that you shouldn't hold them for the first day or two because the mother needs to establish the milk in the first 24 hours. Is this true? If so I will not hold them until tomorrow afternoonish, does that sound ok?
    And... (sorry for all the messages)... Dumbo is 1 oz and the others are 3 oz. I forgot to messure in grams but will not until tomorrow unless you say it's ok to hold them.

  4. #64
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,372
    Thanks
    392
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/455 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballet2vet View Post
    And... (sorry for all the messages)... Dumbo is 1 oz and the others are 3 oz. I forgot to messure in grams but will not until tomorrow unless you say it's ok to hold them.

    I've never read anything like that, so I'm not saying it's wrong. My personal opinion, though, is that you have plenty of time to let them get used to being held. I would leave them with mom for a day or two, but that's just me. I think Dumbo could use the extra time with mom.

    I could be wrong, but that's just what I would do myself. I've never had pups, the youngest pigs I've ever had were 2-3 weeks old.

  5. #65
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,762
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    493 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    I would normally hold the pups as little as practical for the first day or two. I would take them out to weigh them and that was pretty much it for the most part.

    If Dumbos walking has improved he may not need quite so much extra one on one time, you may be able to just give him one on one time a three or four times a day, which at this stage means taking the other two out. After a few days you may be able to switch up one-on-one time, after mum's stomach has had some time to settle you will be able to pick her up so you could instead take her and Dumbo out when giving one-on-one time.

    If you do have a single male pup you could pair him up with dad instead of getting another male companion for dad.

  6. #66
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    I would normally hold the pups as little as practical for the first day or two. I would take them out to weigh them and that was pretty much it for the most part.

    If Dumbos walking has improved he may not need quite so much extra one on one time, you may be able to just give him one on one time a three or four times a day, which at this stage means taking the other two out. After a few days you may be able to switch up one-on-one time, after mum's stomach has had some time to settle you will be able to pick her up so you could instead take her and Dumbo out when giving one-on-one time.

    If you do have a single male pup you could pair him up with dad instead of getting another male companion for dad.
    okay. What I did today was... I would take the two healthy pups out and hold them for ten to fifteen minutes so that Dumbo could have some time with Almond and then I switched so that Dumbo could become socialized.
    I did have to pick up Almond today, but I did not pick her up near the stomach. I had to hold them because there was a significant amount of blood. But her bleeding has seemed to stop now.

    So I will only take the two healthy ones out about four or five times a day but not hold Dumbo at all? Or should I hold all of them tomorrow like I would normally? Or should I kind of start from the beginning and not hold any of them at all?

  7. #67
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    71
    Thanks
    1,536 Rec'd/1,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1141 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by stray hares View Post
    it was a really intense birth, Dumbo (the tri-coloured bub) was essentially stuck for maybe close to over an hour
    I'm not surprised that he is having difficulty walking. He may have something akin to cerebral palsy which (in humans) is caused by oxygen deprivation during the birth process. If so, his walking and balance issues may never resolve.........and then again, they may. IMHO, I would disturb both Almond and the babies as little as possible for the first week. There is plenty of time to socialize them after everyone has recovered from the birth trauma.

    Be careful what you wish for...... You wanted to be present at the birth and oh boy, were you ever! Congratulations on a job well done by both you and your "coach".

  8. #68
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I'm not surprised that he is having difficulty walking. He may have something akin to cerebral palsy which (in humans) is caused by oxygen deprivation during the birth process. If so, his walking and balance issues may never resolve.........and then again, they may. IMHO, I would disturb both Almond and the babies as little as possible for the first week. There is plenty of time to socialize them after everyone has recovered from the birth trauma.

    Be careful what you wish for...... You wanted to be present at the birth and oh boy, were you ever! Congratulations on a job well done by both you and your "coach".
    Thank you!

    Little Mr. Wobbly is running around with his siblings and mom. He still has an occasional fall but is able to get back up.

    I had no idea it would take a WEEK to recover! They seem to have recovered already! Is it okay if I reach in and pet them? Because whenever I put my hand in the cage they run over and start jumping on it and playing with it. It's so much fun to watch but if you think that may harm them then I will stop...

    And feeding... when should I start introducing food? And what foods should I introduce first? Little Mr. Wobbly tried to nibble on some hay but seemed to not like the taste much haha! But I think it is wonderful that he is the first to try whole food! He is the one who is most attached to people, he loved climbing into my hand and sitting there.

  9. #69
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,762
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    493 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    There isn't any harm in touching and petting them in the cage. You don't have to wait to introduce foods, just feed mum like normal, pellets, veggies, hay and all, and the babies will try eating anything she eats. Baby guinea pigs are born capable of eating whole foods.

  10. #70
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    There isn't any harm in touching and petting them in the cage. You don't have to wait to introduce foods, just feed mum like normal, pellets, veggies, hay and all, and the babies will try eating anything she eats. Baby guinea pigs are born capable of eating whole foods.
    Okay, thank you! When should I start holding them? Today or tomorrow? (It has been 24 hours since the birth)

  11. #71
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,762
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    493 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    231 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    You should take them out daily to weigh them so that in and of itself requires handling them at least daily, write it down and keep track of it, try to weigh them at the same time every day. Tracking their weights is important so you know everyone is growing properly, and it will be the best way for you to tell if Dumbo needs one on one time with the mother is if it doesn't gain weight like its siblings do. Just keep in mind they will lose weight for the first day or two before her milk comes in. The babies don't always grow at exactly the same rate, what you are looking for is if everyone is gaining weight at a steady pace.

    Just don't have them out for too long (more than a few minutes, except if it is to give a sibling one on one time with mum) too often (more than a 3 or 4 times a day at most), they need to be spending most of their time with their mother at this age so they can learn how to be a guinea pig from her (even orphaned baby guinea pigs really need an adult guinea pig role model). I always found it best to take one baby out at a time, they can be very squirmy and difficult to keep your hands on because they are so small, and often my mother guinea pigs would get very distressed if suddenly all of her babies were gone from the cage.

    I would stick to only taking them out for short periods of time until they are two weeks old, then you can start increasing the time you have them out for.

    If floor time is something you have done with the mother before and you are able to baby proof a floor time area you can start taking them out for floor time when they are around 1 week old.
    Last edited by Soecara; 12-28-18 at 07:53 am.

  12. #72
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,508
    Thanks
    71
    Thanks
    1,536 Rec'd/1,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1141 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Great advice, Soecara! Thanks for taking the time to post in detail.

  13. #73
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    You should take them out daily to weigh them so that in and of itself requires handling them at least daily, write it down and keep track of it, try to weigh them at the same time every day. Tracking their weights is important so you know everyone is growing properly, and it will be the best way for you to tell if Dumbo needs one on one time with the mother is if it doesn't gain weight like its siblings do. Just keep in mind they will lose weight for the first day or two before her milk comes in. The babies don't always grow at exactly the same rate, what you are looking for is if everyone is gaining weight at a steady pace.

    Just don't have them out for too long (more than a few minutes, except if it is to give a sibling one on one time with mum) too often (more than a 3 or 4 times a day at most), they need to be spending most of their time with their mother at this age so they can learn how to be a guinea pig from her (even orphaned baby guinea pigs really need an adult guinea pig role model). I always found it best to take one baby out at a time, they can be very squirmy and difficult to keep your hands on because they are so small, and often my mother guinea pigs would get very distressed if suddenly all of her babies were gone from the cage.

    I would stick to only taking them out for short periods of time until they are two weeks old, then you can start increasing the time you have them out for.

    If floor time is something you have done with the mother before and you are able to baby proof a floor time area you can start taking them out for floor time when they are around 1 week old.
    Alright, and yes thank you for posting all this information!

    I have been weighing them but I have more trouble taking one out at a time then all of them because they freak out when they are separated. Almond doesn't really care, I think she enjoys the break. The babies are more attached to each other then to mom.

    Dumbo has gained a whole ounce since I last weighed him last night! The other two have not gained any, which seems odd because I have seen them nursing more then Dumbo. But I'm sure Almond just needs to make the milk. Thank you!

  14. #74
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballet2vet View Post
    Alright, and yes thank you for posting all this information!

    I have been weighing them but I have more trouble taking one out at a time then all of them because they freak out when they are separated. Almond doesn't really care, I think she enjoys the break. The babies are more attached to each other then to mom.

    Dumbo has gained a whole ounce since I last weighed him last night! The other two have not gained any, which seems odd because I have seen them nursing more then Dumbo. But I'm sure Almond just needs to make the milk. Thank you!
    One of the babies (temporarily named Penny) is having convulsions. They don’t last long and start slow then go fast and then go slow again and then stop. Could it be hiccups?

  15. #75
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,372
    Thanks
    392
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/455 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballet2vet View Post
    One of the babies (temporarily named Penny) is having convulsions. They donít last long and start slow then go fast and then go slow again and then stop. Could it be hiccups?

    What do you mean by convulsions? Can you clarify?


    I only ask because it could be popcorning.

  16. #76
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,372
    Thanks
    392
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/455 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballet2vet View Post
    One of the babies (temporarily named Penny) is having convulsions. They don’t last long and start slow then go fast and then go slow again and then stop. Could it be hiccups?
    Does it look like this?


  17. #77
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,372
    Thanks
    392
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/455 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Is there any news?

  18. #78
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Dec 18, 2018
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Is there any news?
    Sorry for the delayed response. No it does not look like that in the video. It more looks like hiccups like she (he) just simply jerks forward a little bit over and over again. It's not like a siezure or anything, it's just a slight jolt movement. She has done it three times that I have seen.

  19. #79
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,372
    Thanks
    392
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/455 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballet2vet View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. No it does not look like that in the video. It more looks like hiccups like she (he) just simply jerks forward a little bit over and over again. It's not like a siezure or anything, it's just a slight jolt movement. She has done it three times that I have seen.
    If you can capture it on video, that would be helpful for someone to be able to help identify it. I know that's a pretty tall order. I'm not sure if guinea pigs can have the hiccups, maybe someone can enlighten both of us?

    Does everything else seem to be ok with them?

  20. #80
    Cavy Slave Kelsie's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 06, 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    491
    Thanks
    667 Rec'd/575 Posts
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    350 Post(s)

    Re: Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

    The other night I noticed one of my pigs having the same kind of a reaction as your baby. It was while she was eating her pellets. She seemed like she was having hiccups. She did it about three times and then she stopped. Of course, I panicked and thought she was choking and I ran to pick her up but she was fine. I think she just either ate too fast or maybe she tried to take more into her mouth than she could swallow. Throughout the years that I have had pigs, I've noticed a few of mine do that same hiccuping action. It always scares me but within seconds they seem to quickly recover and are just fine.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •