Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pelvic Bones, Pregnant GP, Labor?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Lately I've just been using a third party site like Imgur.

But when you're typing a message, you can attach a photo. Just use the little paperclip at the top of where you're typing.

If you're using the quick reply, it's the third icon from the right at the top of the box.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
@stray hares, great job coaching. No doubt you helped save a few lives today.

And also good job to @Ballet2vet for following instructions, as I'm sure you already know that what you've done today saved a few lives.

Congratulations on the new little ones! Do let us know how Mr Wobbly is doing?

Thank you!

He (I have not sexed them yet) is doing much better! He is still very wobbly but does his best to keep up with the others. It is so cute how he plays and stuff, he's so wobbly but doesn't seem to mind. I think by tomorrow he should be almost 100% better! He is able to run a little bit, in his own way. I think he's having a hard time using his back legs because he kind of hops but is getting better and better at walking by the minute.

The other two are healthy as can be!

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yay! That's so good to hear. It was super tense a few hours ago, I'm glad everyone is doing better now.

I think you use the insert image icon... which looks like a little tree (if you squint, ha) with black corners? I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of everyone!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you!

He (I have not sexed them yet) is doing much better! He is still very wobbly but does his best to keep up with the others. It is so cute how he plays and stuff, he's so wobbly but doesn't seem to mind. I think by tomorrow he should be almost 100% better! He is able to run a little bit, in his own way. I think he's having a hard time using his back legs because he kind of hops but is getting better and better at walking by the minute.

The other two are healthy as can be!

Such good news. He was probably a little cramped in there, and it will likely take him some time to "work out the kinks" but if you're seeing visible improvement that's a very good sign.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Lately I've just been using a third party site like Imgur.

But when you're typing a message, you can attach a photo. Just use the little paperclip at the top of where you're typing.

If you're using the quick reply, it's the third icon from the right at the top of the box.

Almond and Pups.jpgBrown Pups.pngDumbo.jpgAll 3 Pups.jpg

Here they are!
The first one is Almond and the babies right after birth. The next ones are a while after. The splotched one is the one who was having trouble. Thank you all for your help! I couldn't have done it without you! All these pups and Almond may have died, so thank you so so very much!

P.S. In the picture of Almond and the pups, she is pushing out the afterbirth. That's why her back and stomach look so weird.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll second that. Adorable little ones!

Thankfully, @stray hares was available to help you through it. That, coupled with your efforts, saved 4 furry little lives.

Hopefully everything goes very smoothly from here on out!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Congratulations to you and Almond! The babies are adorable!

stray hares

Cavy Slave
Aw, they're adorable! I'm so, so glad everyone is doing well at this point. :D

I really can't stress to everyone what a great job Ballet2vet did. I know it was really stressful and crazy, but you did such a good job. Just so people know, because it was a really intense birth, Dumbo (the tri-coloured bub) was essentially stuck for maybe close to over an hour and Ballet2vet actually had to help Almond out by lubricating Almond's birth canal to assist the birth. Then when Dumbo finally made it out he/she had some trouble breathing... and poor Almond was exhausted too and needed calcium supplementation to aid contractions.

You did so well. And Almond too, of course, poor little munchkin.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I really can't stress to everyone what a great job Ballet2vet did. I know it was really stressful and crazy, but you did such a good job. Just so people know, because it was a really intense birth, Dumbo (the tri-coloured bub) was essentially stuck for maybe close to over an hour and Ballet2vet actually had to help Almond out by lubricating Almond's birth canal to assist the birth. Then when Dumbo finally made it out he/she had some trouble breathing... and poor Almond was exhausted too and needed calcium supplementation to aid contractions.

I had a feeling something was up when nothing had happened after thirty minutes, and she could see kicking but no pups. Then there was a couple hours of silence and I figured Almond had either gone to the vets, or something had gone terribly, terribly wrong.

It does sadden me that one didn't make it. But Almond, and three of her little ones did and that's something to be very happy about. Congratulations are in order for sure, and @stray hares was one of a few heroes today.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@stray hares, have you been awake all night facilitating this? I know you're roughly 12-14 hours ahead of where I am, so that would put you at about 630am -830am on Friday for you right now?

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
I'll second that. Adorable little ones!

Thankfully, @stray hares was available to help you through it. That, coupled with your efforts, saved 4 furry little lives.

Hopefully everything goes very smoothly from here on out!

Yes, I am very thankful for @stray hares for all the help!

They are VERY adorable little characters! Haha

stray hares

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I'm not really a hero though, ha, I just know a few tricks from dabbling in piggy rescue for quite a few years now. I'm glad I could help out... from over the other side of the world (!).

I just want to point out that in that situation normally a cavy savvy vet would be the first port of call, but the vet in this case was not cavy savvy and couldn't help. Normally, definitely straight to a cavy savvy vet though! I think this was the best outcome given the situation, but, yes, it's not an ideal situation to be in. Luckily Almond has a very dedicated piggy parent who was willing to go above and beyond for her and her bubs.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave

Aw thank you so so very much! Almond has seemed to go back to herself. I think she loves the company since she has been alone ever since I found out she was pregnant, but I am planning on keeping the girl (I hope there is one!) to be a companion for her and then buying a male for Pal. Thank you again!
Almond also is allowing them to nurse, although I haven't seen Dumbo nursing. I keep moving him/her next to the nipple and he/she seems to try to nurse but underneath the front armpit. Is there a nipple there?
Thank you so so very much! I can't thank you enough!

I would also like people to know that @stray hares told me it was 2:30 am but that she (?) would stay up until I didn't need any help! Thank you again!

stray hares

Cavy Slave
@stray hares, have you been awake all night facilitating this? I know you're roughly 12-14 hours ahead of where I am, so that would put you at about 630am -830am on Friday for you right now?

Haha, it was the 1:30 am to 3:30 am piggy midwifery by proxy shift here, yes. I've had a few hours sleep since then but not many (it's 9:40 am now and I'm spacing out a bit). I think I'm just really excited about the healthy bubs and Almond being okay though. I was staying up to help Ballet2vet through it all, I will crash soon, I'm sure.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Haha, it was the 1:30 am to 3:30 am piggy midwifery by proxy shift here, yes. I've had a few hours sleep since then but not many (it's 9:40 am now and I'm spacing out a bit). I think I'm just really excited about the healthy bubs and Almond being okay though. I was staying up to help Ballet2vet through it all, I will crash soon, I'm sure.

And I cannot thank you enough! I hope you can get a good... mornings rest! You deserve it! I cannot believe somebody would do that for me from across the world not even knowing who I am! It's amazing what kindness does! Thank you again and again! I will update everybody on little Dumbo (I may keep the name even if it's a girl haha) and Almond and the rest of the pups.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Just amazing.

It reinforces to me, just how amazing the members of this forum are.

You may not feel like a hero, but I'm sure Ballet2vet, Almond, and her babies may feel differently.

Thank you for being there.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
And I cannot thank you enough! I hope you can get a good... mornings rest! You deserve it! I cannot believe somebody would do that for me from across the world not even knowing who I am! It's amazing what kindness does! Thank you again and again! I will update everybody on little Dumbo (I may keep the name even if it's a girl haha) and Almond and the rest of the pups.

Also, I read somewhere that it is good to hold the pups a lot the first few days so that they get used to being handled by humans. But my mom (who is out of town) just said that you shouldn't hold them for the first day or two because the mother needs to establish the milk in the first 24 hours. Is this true? If so I will not hold them until tomorrow afternoonish, does that sound ok?

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Just amazing.

It reinforces to me, just how amazing the members of this forum are.

You may not feel like a hero, but I'm sure Ballet2vet, Almond, and her babies may feel differently.

Thank you for being there.

I cannot agree more

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.